>
Board Index Miscellany Local Activity

Shooting Ranch in TJ

Discuss local gatherings, range days, clubs, gun shows, and other social get-togethers

Shooting Ranch in TJ

Postby Aphoris » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:06 pm

Hi everybody,

iam Exchange student from Germany, studying at the San Diego State.

Iam a hobby shooter, but back home its not allowed to shoot with something bigger than a pistol.(even that only with a lot restrictions)

I allways wanted to get something big(Rifle) in the hand and try out the feeling.

Next friday iam going to TJ, i heard u can do that very good and cheap overthere.

Do u know any places and maybe prices in Tichuana?

Are there good(cheap) alternatives here in San Diego or up north(I will travel to Vancouver by car in December)?

Thanks for helping me...

Regards Tim
Aphoris

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi Tim and welcome to the United States and this forum! I was stationed in San Diego when I was in the US Navy. I would advise against going into Tijuana with the intention of buying a firearm. I'm not even sure that it's legal to cross an International border with a firearm purchased in a foreign country without special permits. That'll take a little more research on my part. TJ is a rough place and they prey on tourists, especially ones with a pocket full of money. Your selection of firearms is severely limited in California, easier in Oregon and Washington but there will be issues regarding your nationality. I believe a passport, visa and green card are required for a foreigner to purchase a firearm here. Again, I'm going to need to confirm that but I had a friend from England that had to follow those requirements. Regardless of your decision, I would highly suggest that you don't purchase a firearm from anyone in Tijuana, Mexico or Mexico in general. Beware down there!!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:20 pm

Tim, I grew up in South Texas, on the Mexican border and need to tell you to stay away from Mexico and anything about firearms there. Possesion of just ammunition will get you arrested and fined. The have a scientific method of determining fines - How much money are you worth - give it to us and we will consider letting you go. I am not kidding!!! They will take everything you and your folks have to let you go. I speak from expierence. I had a brother-in-law arrested over there on a firearms situation and it cost him 3 years and $200,000.00 to get away! Stay away Stay away
TEXVETNAM67-68

Postby Aphoris » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:18 pm

oh sorry maybe i expressed my selfe not specific enough or even wrong.

i just wanted to go to one of these shooting ranches where u can "rent"guns and are allowed to shoot at (not moving)targets indoor or outdoor within that facility.

i dont want to buy or take any ammunition or even weapons out of that area were u are allowed to.

just wanted to use the local opportunity here in the US(or mexico) to hold and shoot with something bigger than a pistol or revolver if its possible.

i heard the biggest facility in CA to do that is in el cajon?!?!

thanks so much for your answers and warning me about mexico iam taking that very serious as its not the first time that i hear some like that.
Aphoris

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:01 pm

Hello Aphoris,

Thank you for explaining that, it does make a difference. If you're interested in just doing some stationary shooting practice, there are plenty of those facilities in California and throughout the United States. If that was your only reason for going to Mexico, I would just scratch that thought right off my list. TJ is a cesspool and the percentage of people having problems there is quite high and if you end up being one of them read Tex's post (below) again. If you don't have a very good reason for going into Mexico (anywhere), don't do it. It has turned into nothing but trouble. Don't go there if you don't absolutely need to, just my opinion.

PS: Did I tell you not to go? Don't go!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Return to Local Activity