>
Board Index Miscellany Local Activity

Walther p22

Discuss local gatherings, range days, clubs, gun shows, and other social get-togethers

Walther p22

Postby txvictor » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:11 pm

Whats up everyone. New to this. Hope to make friends. Just bought a used walter P22 Anyone has any pointer on this gun Just cleaned it just need the time to go to the shooting range. A place to Shoot.
txvictor

Postby GOANRA » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Howdy & Welcome!!

I got a Walther P-22 and learned it would only shoot the High Velocity ammo. I was hoping to use up 8-9000 of bulk Federal, Win, & Rem .22lr, but the thing just won't shoot 'em.

I got the extra mag & LASER, so the wife loves it.

The expensive 22 ammo is still way cheaper than the centerfire ammo she'd be using otherwise.

If I keep it super-clean, it works great!!

Let me know how yours does!!
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby BrianB » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Welcome to the forum txvictor.

When you say "New to this" do you mean guns or forums?

Goanra, as usual, has some great advice for you. I have the same issues as he does with my Sig Mosquito. Be ready to keep it clean and dry, the less oil the better it seems, as least for me. I even bring my cleaning kit to the range just in case.

CCI Mini Mags are about the only ammo that will work for my sig so if you have any problems with cheaper or other brands perhaps try that type.
BrianB

Postby Firstsniper » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:38 am

I have difficulty with my W-p22 except with CCI ammo. A local gunsmith also told me to ensure that the feed ramp just in front of the chamber was clean; not fouled with lead. that caused a jamming problem too.
Firstsniper

Postby GOANRA » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:04 pm

I think I'm going to sell my Walther P-22 and get a Ruger MK III. Then I can start using up my 9000 rounds of Win/Fed/Rem 22lr ammo + continue to shoot the cheap stuff.

Those FTFs and expensive ammo just aren't worth it anymore.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:50 pm

If you're having these kinds of problems with your Walther, I'd get rid of it too. There's nothing more aggravating at the range (or elsewhere) when your firearm malfunctions. Especially when it is a frequent problem. You're on the right choice though, the Ruger MK III. I've got the 5.5" Bull Bbl Target model and am completely satisfied with it. It will fire anything I put in it. It certainly helps the decision making process when you can buy whatever is available on the gun shop shelf! It's a fabulous pistol, you'll love it.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby GOANRA » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:26 pm

I used to have a Browning Buckmark and a Ruger MK ?, in the 80s. They were both excellent.

I also had a $100, Phoenix 3.5" a few years ago that was 100% reliable. [??] Should've kept it.

Must have got lucky on the Phoenix. The Browning is nice, but no need to pay more than the Ruger and only get 1 mag.

I'll be looking fo a Ruger MK III soon.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Return to Local Activity