>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

AR15/M-4 VS. Mini 14 The .223 WAR

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby judgeparker » Sat May 15, 2010 5:08 pm

That's the plan I'm just not sure which kind to get. I'm looking at fold downs but wonder if the poa will change after they are set. As for optics I'd like to have an ACOG (but then who wouldn't ) But I would have to sell my 4 wheel drive pickup to pay for them. Any suggestions?
judgeparker

Postby whitehood » Sat May 15, 2010 7:15 pm

There are a lot of very excellent BUIS. LaRue, Armalite LMT all make excellent ones. Matech makes one for the Air Force and Troy makes them for the nice little S&W AR. There are a whole host of other manufacturers out there who make good ones that won't lose their zero. For optics you have choices, do you want glass, a red dot or a holosight? All are different. IMHO an ACOG is over priced and is really made for a rifle that seconds as a DMR weapon. If you want a something for a carbine go with a holosight like EOTech and then add a magnifier to it if you need it. You can mount the mag on an AR with a good rail system and get it out of the way if you don't need it. ADCO makes a nice scope for the money that is in the cheap category. There are a host of others. Beltbuckle probably knows a great deal more than I do.
whitehood

Postby jdeangelis99 » Sat May 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Belt I use a Cot M4 alot and I love it I shoot 5.56 but it can shoot .223 witch is pretty much the same thing. I love my Colt it never lets me down. I have a surefire rail on it with a forward grip that turns into a bipod. I also use a eo tech 557 or a few diffrent aimpoint scopes. I also use a few diff Acogs witch is pretty fun. Theres so much you can do with the gun. I would go with the M4 you will not be sorry. Then you can start the war on brands of ar15 guns.Like I said I love Colt but alot like bushmaster
jdeangelis99

Postby judgeparker » Sat May 15, 2010 11:11 pm

I have been considering a holographic but don't like depending on batteries. One of these days batteries might be unobtainable. One hopes that never happens but you never know. As for the BUIS they are difficult to use with trifocals. Is there a sight other than an old style scope that uses ambient light to light up the optics that I can acquire later.
judgeparker

Postby whitehood » Sun May 16, 2010 12:49 pm

The Trigicon RMR will give you what you want. Be prepared to pay a lot and you won't get mag if you need it.
whitehood

Postby GOANRA » Sun May 16, 2010 2:35 pm

Hope no one will think less of me. BUT, I went with the Mini-14 and a dozen 20-30 rnd mags.

I almost went the Bushmaster, knowing it is far superior, BUT, I was issued a mini-14 in the early 80s as a duty weapon and after 25 years, I just got sooo comfortable with it.

As a State firearms instructor, I trained/qualified thousands on the Mini. I also had much downtime between vans with nothing to do but practice.

We had the Red Dot sights for a while, but finally got rid of those, thankfully.

If I went with the superior AR, I don't think I'd ever be as proficient. It must be the "old dog, new tricks" thing.

If one factors in the cost of Ruger mags, scope ring options & other accessories, the ARs are actually less expensive in the long run as well as MUCH more versitile and more accurate.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby Will_Carry » Sun May 16, 2010 3:16 pm

The mini-14 is a fine weapon. It will serve you well.
Will_Carry

Postby pcnightmare » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:39 am

Either is a great choice, but it comes down to personal preference, and the Ruger wins with me by a long shot. I'm not a fan of civilian black guns - just seems like some people are trying too hard to live out their deep seeded military fantasies.

I fell in love with the Mini-14 the first time I shot it, and that love has yet to fade. With the improvements made to the barrels in the last decade, I have no problem recommending them to anyone.
pcnightmare

Postby whitehood » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:43 pm

I have to disagree completely, but it's not to knock the little Ruger. You can just do so much with the AR platform, taking a stripped upper and converting it from a tackdriving varmit weapon to a shorty self defense carbine. The AR system is so modular that just about anyone can make make major modifications with minimal tutelage. And as far as many if not most repairs you can do it yourself. It has nothing to do with Xbox fantasies.
whitehood

Postby pcnightmare » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:37 pm

My Mini admirably fulfills both the roles you stated with no need for modification. As was my original point, it comes down to personal preference, and the Mini is mine for the following reasons.

The first reason is the simplest, it feels better in my hands and comes to my shoulder more naturally. The sight off-set of the Mini is much less severe than in your typical carry handle AR, which I like. The Xbox fantasies as you call them, are very real in my experience, and are a big turn-off in my book. The Mini is more reliable, and in my experience requires less cleaning and maintenance than many ARs. Cost is also a considerable factor, as a new Mini costs about 33% less than a new AR in my area, and a used Mini costs about 50% less than a used AR in my area.

I'm not saying the AR isn't a fine gun. I'm not even saying that it doesn't surpass the Ruger in some ways. But I have no interest in modular uppers, telescoping butt stocks or hanging $1,000 worth of bells off of my rifle. The Mini is just a much more intuitive gun in my hands, and that's most important to me.
pcnightmare

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter