>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Need Advice for Home Defense

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby EmeryX » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:37 pm

I think I'm going to go with a .38 S & W as my first pistol and take it from there. I'm a big guy 6'4" 260, and the subcompacts weren't very comfortable. I'm more comfortable with shotguns than Pistols, but I fired a .38 last weekend and really liked it. As I get more secure with pistols, I plan on expanding my armory. Thanks again for all the great advice.
EmeryX

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:29 pm

The .38 Spc. is a fair defense caliber, some loads more impressive than others. I would consider using the standard .38 Spc. load for practice and rely on the excellent offerings available in .38 Spc. +P for defense. The .38 Spc. revolver is a tried and tested firearm and is as reliable as they come. They do have some drawbacks when compared to most comparable semi auto handguns. Capacity, caliber and ease/speed of reloading are important considerations in a defensive weapon.

There are substantial differences between the semi auto and revolver handguns, that we know. But your choice of a quality .38 Special revolver is certainly a viable option. You need to get familiar with the overall handling and operation as well as becoming proficient with the speed loaders currently available. Finally I would use a high quality .38 Spc +P load, the Corbon DPX, JHP or similar. The 158 Gr. Lead Semi Wad Cutter is also a proven standard pressure load for self defense use. There are so many loads on the market that will perform, it's hard to put your finger on one. Stay with proven ammunition and stay away from the exotics. Lastly, the most important part of the equation is (as always) "PRACTICE"!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby EmeryX » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks for your feedback Tigwelder. Sounds like I should look at some semi-autos. This will be my only gun for a while, so I want the best overall one I can get for my money/budget-about $500. Thanks again and have a good one!
EmeryX

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:49 am

We're all happy to help! Our most important job is to make sure you get the right answer to your questions. Sometimes and some places make that more difficult than it should. I hope we're able to provide you with the information you need. There certainly is no reason to consider a revolver as second seat to a semi auto. They both have features that make them individually the best gun for the job! My dream revolver is a NIB 6" blued Colt Python. I've wanted one for decades and haven't taken advantage of the opportunities I've had. Oh well, such is life! I'll keep looking and hope I can sell a kidney or something when it comes along! LOL!

Here's a website with some info on your choice that will help you. The more information you get the better. Check it out:

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/103725

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby g4l » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:54 am

Hold on EmeryX! I just want to make sure You don't overlook something;

While I'm not 100% sure, but isn't NJ the only State in the U.S that forbids the use of hollow-points in civilian arms? Please check on this, as it will SEVERLY affect the stopping power, especially in a small cal. like the .38. If this is true, You may want to consider a .45, (revolver or semi) since the .45 ball round is considered one of the only fmj rounds that is suitable for defense. $500 should be able to buy You a Springfield XD or Glock; both very equally similar in build, function, and reliability. Also, does NJ allow conceal-carry, or will this be a house gun? There's no need for a sub-compact as a home-defense gun, You'll want a full-size model.
g4l

Postby EmeryX » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Yes I do believe New Jersey does ban hollow points. they also make you wait for ever to get a gun permit. I'l look into the .45, thank for the advice. I''ll let you know how it goes and thanks again to you all.
EmeryX

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:28 am

Emery, I've seen supporting and negative comments regarding hollowpoint alternatives in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey. Your state is so aggressively anti gun that I think it doesn't matter what you use in a justifiable (as far as we're concerned) shooting. You're going to need a very good lawyer, whatever the outcome. I'm personally convinced that I'd rather be fighting for my right to protect myself, family and property, than having my next of kin or the same state (that screwed me over in the first place) deciding the distribution of my estate and culpability.

As I'm looking this up, it appears as though New Jersey makes up laws and regulations to suit their needs. There are alternatives to actual hollowpoint loads but you can imagine, as have others, just what does the state think about them? Before I let them (the perps) kill me or my family, I've already made the decision that I'll do what's necessary to protect and defend us.

I've gotten off track a bit and want to add what those alternative loads are. I know that NJ law is very ambiguous regarding this issue, so again, I feel that you have to do what common sense and your conscience tells you to do. The load's that I like are the Corbon Power Ball, Glaser Silver/Blue Safety Slug and Federal's EFMJ. The latter is one of my favorites, especially in semi autos that hang up. It appears to be a good alternative but that's determined by reliability tests in your pistol.

tigwelder56

Postby EmeryX » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:54 am

Good to know Tigwelder. Thank you. Yes, New Jersey is getting quite old with me. You really have to question a place that makes it so hard for you to enact the right to defend yourself. if you think the gun laws are bad-you should see the property taxes! Mine have gone up 65% over the pst two years! I think a move is just around the corner. But back on the subject, I'm going to look into the .357 Magnum. It seems like something I can handle-yet is a powerful step up from a .38. Thanks!
EmeryX

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:06 pm

You may have found the answer to your initial question! Need advice for home defense? Move to a state that is concerned more about the safety and financial well being of it's citizens versus their tax revenues and liberal gun policies.

tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:45 am

The .357 magnum shoots about the widest range of ammunition of any handgun out there. From 38sp wadcutters with very little recoil, to the hard hitting 125 gr. SJHPs with 625 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. It's the king of one shot stops.

Everyone should have a .357 and it is an excellent first gun.

tigwelder56

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter