>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Need Advice for Home Defense

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:27 pm

I own a Beretta Jetfire .25acp and a Beretta Bobcat .25acp. I don't recommend them for self defense, certainly not as your primary home defense pistol. They're too finicky and fail easily when they're allowed to accumulate any dirt or crud. I can rarely fire a box of 50 without experiencing failures to feed. That and the fact that the .25 acp is about as low powered a round as you can find. If you can find one that delivers anything over 60 ft/lbs of energy, you're lucky. I bought mine when I didn't know any better. I love the size, very small and they look "Cool", lol! Their only real purpose is as a deep cover back up gun for a last resort. They can certainly kill someone, that's proven, but the chance that you're going to piss them off before they slowly bleed out is quite high. If you're close and can guarantee a head shot or two, then your chances are much improved. A body mass shot isn't going to be as effective as a higher powered caliber. There are several out there for consideration. Generally you'll hear people recommending a 9mm, .40 S&W or .45acp. All of them suitable for the job. The firearm you choose is another discussion entirely. There are so many good firearms available, it ends up being a choice based on individual likes and dislikes. You need to rent different models if you can or hit the range and beg fellow shooters for the chance to fire a few rounds through their guns. Testing them for fit and feel at a local dealer or gunshow helps too. Your finances will also have a bearing on your choice. If you can spend between $500 and $1000 dollars, the door is wide open! That's where most new, brand name models tend to cost. Then comes the decision of semi auto or revolver! That's another story all together! I recently spent an afternoon with a guy that had just bought the new Taurus "Judge". It's also called the Taurus 4410 Tracker. It's a .410/.45LC revolver. They come with a 3 to 6.5 inch barrel, 5 round cylinder, with a choice of 2.5 standard load or 3 inch magnum. Trust me, it's one nasty revolver that has self defense written all over it! Definitely worth a look. A nice pistol that fits the bill for a small sub compact with a decent sized round that your wife might like, including yourself, is the new Ruger "LCP" .380 acp, a terrific little pocket gun that is currently selling retail for around $300 bucks or less.

You've met a group of die hard shooters here and we all have our favorites and most of all, we've got some experience that we're all happy to share! So welcome to the forum, we look forward to hearing from you again soon.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:24 pm

If you want a smaller caliber you might want to look at a 22 magnum double action revolver. They have a little more stopping power than a 25. Smith & Wesson makes an over priced one and Taurus makes one that may or may not be of good quality. On second thought.....maybe you should listen to Tig....

Honestly, I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 9mm or a 38sp+P. But since the likelyhood of you actually having to defend your home against an intruder is so remote that you will probably never have to use it, I'd get one that I liked.

Whether it's fun to shoot, looks cool or just feels right. Just learn to use it safely and accurately.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:08 am

I used to have a .22 caliber "six shooter", don't remember the model now, too long ago! I'll blame it on an aging memory! It had a separate cylinder for .22 Mags and .22LR. I'm in complete agreement Will, the .22 Magnum is a powerful round in a small package! I'm really surprised that more manufacturers don't concentrate on that platform, .22 Magnum. With some thought and good engineering, I'm certain that the manufacturers could come up with some impressive firearms not currently available! With ammunition prices what they are, and the lack of suitable firearm designs, I don't think I'd be putting the .22 Mag at the top of my list of considerations!

BUT: If you're going to carry one of those pip squeak NAA mini revolvers for self defense, I would definitely opt for the .22 Magnum model versus the .22 LR. I own the .22 LR and love it, but it should forever be considered a gun of last resort!! They make great deep concealment weapons and are quite reasonably priced.

However, I wouldn't make the NAA .22 my primary weapon! That goes without saying! If you have any other questions, please ask!

tigwelder56

Postby agonist » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:26 pm

Out of that short a barrel you're only going to get a 20% or so improvement by stepping up to the .22 mag with the NAA mini. If you use the right ammo you can find .22lr pistol loads that will compare with many .22 mag loads in short barrels. That being said there's probably a .22mag load out there optimized for short barrels which would be a dramatic improvement over the .22lr. For a pocket pistol I wouldn't worry about it. You're talking about a last ditch, buy you some time situation anyway with the exception of good head shots.
agonist

Postby Trainingwheels » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:25 am

I think that I read here a guy said that he would use a ruger 10/20. Think about it "I dont want kill someone, but haven lots of .22 landing around you will put you off and i can carry 500 rounds in my pocket" END QUOTE. I have seen a Ruger charger, i think its a cut down rifle with short barrel, not as bulky as a shotgun and far lighter. besides if i seen a guy running through his house with what looked like a cut down rifle.. i would leave at the first possible instance. How is an AR-15 cut down go in Jersy?... that a handgun isnt it??
Trainingwheels

Postby EmeryX » Wed May 20, 2009 1:00 am

Hey guys just wanted to give you guys an upate. My brother-in-law is going to sell me his Glock 27 if I like it when he takes me to the range. He a really good guy. Anyway he told me it is a good gun, and fine for for Home Defense. Just wondering what you guys thought about it.

Have a good one.
EmeryX

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:10 am

Hello, your brother in law isn't blowing smoke up your skirt! The Glock 27 is an excellent pistol and like every Glock I've ever met, it will be as reliable a pistol as you would ever desire. The 27 is a .40 and with the shorter grip, you're going to experience some strong recoil. If you're new to handgun shooting it may seem unpleasant at first but it is by no means unmanageable. The .40 SW is one of the top defensive calibers available today and will make an excellent self defense gun, no question about it.

Something you can consider to lessen the felt recoil is to purchase one of the magazine extensions available just about everywhere that sells pistol accessories. Even a single round extension will give you enough extra grip length to allow you room to place your little finger on the grip.

Don't be concerned about the quality of the pistol. Glock makes one of the best pistols regardless of caliber on the planet!! I own a Glock 23 and plan to be buried with it. I love my Glock and you will too. Just expect a stout recoil and prepare yourself for it. "It ain't no sissy gun"... Good luck!!

Tig

tigwelder56

Postby EmeryX » Wed May 20, 2009 11:18 am

Thanks Tig! I really appreciate your feedback. I'm a big guy and have big hands, so that extension sounds like a good idea. I'm also going to fire his 9.MM, and might get that instead if I like it. I am leaning towards The Glock, it sounds like just what I'm looking for. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!
EmeryX

Postby g4l » Thu May 21, 2009 8:41 am

Glocks are fine pistols, but the 27 is better suited as a "carry" gun when nothing bigger hides. For home defense, a full size is the better option, do to the superior handling compared to sub-compacts.
g4l

Postby smith6906 » Sat May 23, 2009 12:00 am

to answer the original post............BENELLI M-4 TACTICAL 10 GAUGE pump shotgun!!!!!! for 4 distinct reasons! lol #1.....colapsable ASP plastic stock, goes from almost no stock, to full stock in seconds *A.E. great for small spaces*. #2 pistol grip!!! combined with the stock attatchment , it will reduce recoil by putting some of it on your palm. #3 the gun itslef is very short, not a long barrel at all, 1/2 that of most police shotguns. and last but not least , #4 .............a 10 gauge round will not only stop a attacker or burglar in his tracks........it will throw him almost 8 feet backwards . 4 reasons to use it.........not a single one not to :-)
smith6906

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter