>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Need Advice for Home Defense

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Need Advice for Home Defense

Postby EmeryX » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:30 pm

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and happy to be here. I live in a Condo with my wife,(Urban environment,New Jersey) and was wondering what you gentleman would recommend for good home defense? I'm pretty familiar with shotguns since I used to hunt as a kid, but haven't operated a firearm in a while. Thanks in advance for any advice!
EmeryX

Postby EmeryX » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:29 am

You use the term "Gentlemen" loosely.

Nothing is more intimidating than a shotgun and bird shot won't penetrate walls and kill your neighbors, yet is devistating at indoor distances. If you are going to make your bedroom a fortress a shotgun would do you well. If you are going to have to be mobile (if you have to protect your children in another part of the house) then a shotgun can be cumbersome. In that case I would get a pistol and shoot Glazer fragmenting ammunition than won't penetrate sheetrock walls.

I am no expert in home defense, but I have read Tsun Tsu. Its a good read, if you get the older translations.
EmeryX

Postby agonist » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:49 am

He's got it right.

I have 3 kids in the house. I keep a small b-ball bat next to the bed (great 1 or 2 hander), my .357 revover loaded with Glasers a quick step away, and my 12 ga. Mossy 2 steps further.
agonist

Postby EmeryX » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback!
EmeryX

Postby agonist » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:51 am

I thought I should add that the handgun gets locked up during the day. When I'm not home the 12ga is accessable to my wife (its hidden out of the kids reach), and is locked up when no one's home although admitedly my wife could be a little more consistant in this practice.
agonist

Postby jdeangelis99 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:30 pm

emeryx I to live in jersey North Jersey in fact.. SInce you live in a condo I would recomend a handgun a .40 Just becarefull with the ammo because hollow points are against the law here. even thu I have hydro shock hollow points in my glock 22.... Good luck with your buy keep me updated
jdeangelis99

Postby agonist » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:29 am

JD YOU BAD BOY!

How stupid is that law? Hollowpoints are illegal but you can use fmjs which in a .40 have a high degree of overpenetration increasing the likelyhood of collateral damage. That's what happens when the people writing gun legislation don't know the first thing about them.

In Mass. they banned a rifle because it was "too accurate."

What the F@%$ kind of sense does that make?! OH NO! They might actually hit what they're aiming at! Much better to just spray bullets around randomly! Frickin' morons!
agonist

Postby ShootSS » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:59 am

Hey Emeryx

Perhaps you now see what we meant when we commented on your useing the term "gentlemen" so loosely?
ShootSS

Postby EmeryX » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:49 pm

Thanks guys. Are there any particular makes/models that you would recommend? I've been looking at the research on this board and The Berretta Bobcat Onyx seems like a good gun that both me and my wife(especially her) would be comfortable with. I guess, as far as hand guns are concerned, I'm looking for a powerful(relatively speaking) sub-compact. I'm already set on a Winchester 12. Gauge.

Cheers
EmeryX

Postby g4l » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:07 pm

With those Jersey laws, I would recommend a full-size .45 as a defense pistol. The bigger .45 is probably your best bet if you have to use fmj rounds for defense. I know You said You're looking for a sub-compact, but given Your circumstance I would advise against.

I would also recommend writing to your law-makers and letting these idiots know they are pretty much the only morons in the entire Country who restrict hollow-point ammo. I'm willing to bet your local Police are NOT carrying ball ammo for the obvious lack of stopping power, and danger to bystanders they create. Vote the Commies OUT!
g4l

Next

Return to Gun Chatter