>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Advice, Opinions Needed!

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Advice, Opinions Needed!

Postby Aspen » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:58 pm

I plan on purchasing a 9mm handgun soon. I was wondering if it is too much gun for me, will I be able to handle it? I dont want a gun with alot of kick, but I dont want a girly gun either. I would appreciate any advise or recommendations.
Aspen

Postby CONT2 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:06 pm

I suggest you go to your local gun range and rent the various makes and models that most good gun ranges have. Try 9mm if you have you heart set on it, but try other calibers. Figure in your hand size and your weight and body frame. If youre a petite person,consider a .380 or a .32. But the best way to find out what suits you....go to the range and rent something and see what you are comfortable with.

keep us posted on your future purchase...
CONT2

Postby beltbuckle » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:14 pm

I agree with CONT2, the best way to figure out what gun fits you best is to use it. I dont know what your body size is but Id be willing to bet with a little practice you will have no problems with a 9mm.
beltbuckle

Postby shot4funinsun » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:19 am

aspen, as both cont2 and beltbuckle mentioned already try out the guns at a range and see what feels comfortable to you. I personally would hold off on purchasing anything soon if you havent fired a weapon of your liking. good luck and good shooting.

P.S. you dont necessarily have to go with a semi and remember that one good shot is better than 10 bad ones.
shot4funinsun

Postby nohub2003 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:07 pm

Ditto!!... I would start-out with a revolver. Later get that pistol. Make sure you go to the range, and find something that fits your hand nicely! You will know which one is right, just by the feel of the weapon in your hand. Later, Nohub
nohub2003

Postby CONT2 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:31 am

My first ever experience with any firearm was with a Ruger revolver .38 special. Iforget the model number. I was a Gsa certified contract guard in Wash., D.C. 22 years ago.

Hated that gun. Had to qualify with it and did, but it sucked.
CONT2

Postby agonist » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:14 pm

My first shots were fired from a .22 revolver. My second with a six inch barreled .357. No problem. A revolver is definetly the best way to get used to shooting. If you have a place to shoot but not to rent you could get yourself a used .38. Many gun stores with a good used gun section will have some older .38 revolvers for very resonable prices for starting out go with a 4 or six inch barrel. Many of these guns are old police trade ins and there insnt much demand for longer barrelled .38s . You could probably get one for under $150. When youre ready you can trade it back for something else. Youll take a loss on it but consider it a long rental. If you take care of it and bring it in clean the place that sold it to you will probably give you a 100 bucks towards something else.
agonist

Return to Gun Chatter