>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

What is the best all around handgun?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Well my "Cheat" was trumped by yours, lol!! All nicely described and supported as well. It's a good list, I can't argue that!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby John_Doe » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:06 pm

My favorite all around gun is my S&W M&P 340. 38/357 caliber very light with Trijicon XS front night sight. I keep it loaded with Speer Gold Dot short barrel 135gr .357 rounds. This is my concealed carry & nightstand gun. I always keep a 9mm auto with several high capacity mags when in my vehicle though for a worse case senario.
John_Doe

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:33 pm

I've got a Taurus 85 CIA SS that isn't as good a quality as your Smith but I can tell you this, I'd be able to shoot all day with mine before I could yours! That scandium frame is so light that you feel every ounce of recoil through it! Brutal recoil!! I'm concerned I'd start flinching in short order with that light a revolver with full power loads. I can understand why you carry something in addition to it for those times when you might need additional firepower! No doubt though, the 340 is a very nice revolver!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby ulgydog56 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:17 am

ya i,ve shot the scandium rig with .357 loads, holy crap,felt it right up my arm bones....I guess if someone is trying to kill you ,you won,t be thinking about that much.....and I also like the taurus 85 in steel ..yupp shoot all day with .38s and +Ps.....
ulgydog56

Re: What is the best all around handgun?

Postby GOANRA » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:46 pm

For Duty or Concealed.
This offers a good Choice:

WATCH THIS BEFORE DECIDING:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/vsVCHE7ayPE?rel=0 :lol:
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby Will_Carry » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:12 pm

The Glock 19 is the best all around handgun.
Will_Carry

Postby JustBen » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:04 pm

You got that right. 9mm is plenty of power, large magazine capacity, reliability and simplicity. Put some night sights on it, do a trigger job and get a great IWB holster and you are ready to go.
JustBen

Postby GOANRA » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:34 pm

No way to argue the many factors contributing to the Glock 17 & 19 as probably the two consistently highest rated firearms in existence, today.
I like the 3.5 lb trigger, but the 5.5 lb stock trigger is still close to perfection, for me.

Late Last October, I almost got a G-17, even though I consolidated 9mm out of my inventory to save on ammo costs (except for a dozen boxes of good stuff for my Kel-Tec PF9, that is too perfect & rarely gets shot).
The G-17 was $499. with some extra incentive(s) + free s/h & zero tax.
I checked on a case of "good" ammo, Cor-Bon, Hornady, etc., & the cost was great.

Heard one was coming in O.D. and decided to wait for a 'little while'; no reason to hurry, right?
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Postby GOANRA » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:19 pm

ORIGINAL POST:
T-MAIN wrote:I am new to the handgun world. I am a hunter and am very familiar with shotguns and riffles but am trying to get educated on handguns. I would like to purchase a handgun for conceal and cary purposes but would also like to use the gun in the feild while hunting. I beleive that in the state of Minnesota the only leagal auto is a 10mm. Currently I am intrigued by the Glock G29 and the Ruger GP100 357 revolver. Are there any other handguns that would fit the bill better? I would love to hear oppinions from those who know. Thanks.

In most States, it is illegal to hunt with a concealed carry pistol, concealed on your person. My State just changed that law last year.
It may seem strange, but the conflict of law comes from poachers. Those with a 'Concealed Permit', while hunting, can still use their CC Pistol, but just need to carry it exposed while hunting. Some states have caliber requirements to comply with, though.

Check with your State's Attorney General's Office before 'Carryng Concealed While Hunting'. It is most likely illegal.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Previous

Return to Gun Chatter