>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

What is the best all around handgun?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby lrgcal4fun » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Henry,

The people on this thread are just trying to help you out. In most states, just allowing a gun butt to be visible (even with out the intent to intimidate) is a criminal offense known generically as Brandishing. Such a conviction would forfeit your CCW permanently. In open carry the responsibility is similar as Tig already stated. You can be prosecuted just for scaring some one with the weapon. In most parts of the country that means jail time and the loss of your right to own a firearm.

That doesn't even come close to covering the more serious implications of such an action. For example, almost any employer can justly terminate or refuse to hire a person for this kind of conviction.

Be wise and respect the law. There are far more appropriate and manly ways to deal with the jerks in this world. "Going off" on some one is for boys.
lrgcal4fun

Postby agonist » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:19 pm

I think what Henry may have meant was that seeing someone carrying will give anyone thinking about starting something a second thought. I'm sure there are also plenty of pure criminals out there who might see it as encouragement.

I feel like it's generally a better choice to carry concealed but not deeply. In my mind if I spot someone carrying (who obviously isn't a thug) I assume they're an off duty P.O. If it's someone younger (who's not acting like a thug) I would think "now here's a young guy who has his shit together."
agonist

Postby HenryLeverAction » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:24 pm

I agree with what everyone said. You guys did misunderstand my meaning of "intimidating". Agonist understood though. I'm sorry I should have made my meaning known.

I meant by intimidating is by someone thinking twice about bothering you. Just seeing a firearm or knife can severely discourage an attacker. Though you need to draw this on a last resort. If someone comes into your house with a firearm drawn, ski masks, decked out in black, It is them or you. If your just getting bothered by some punks off the street, that is when you try the more evasive approach. I have had to draw my firearm to scare someone out of my house. I'm not just making crap up here guys.

When you take krav maga you learn invaluable things about self defense. The most important thing is self confidence. You can't have your head in your ass when it comes down to it. You need to have it on your shoulders and be confident. Secondly, you need to be intimidating. Now I mean intimidating by saying "I'm not afraid to fight." Not, "hey look at me I've got a gun."

Yes, I know that there are criminals out there that aren't afraid of fighting or just whatever. I know guys that work in the Department of Corrections facilities. Usually, you'll never find them without their firearms when they're off duty. I quote "running into one in town, that isn't very fond of you, just isn't fun unless you got your gun"

Now, Lrgcal4fun - as far as I know, in Indiana, your permit is for Open carry, or concealed. Now, showing your gun off in public places is very much likely to scare someone. This is where I tied in the part about being respectful to people and not looking like some criminal, tig.

Whitehood, I know exactly what you mean by that guy remembering your face. That is a job I respect you for doing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I am 18. Now, you might be thinking "oh, wow that is really young" But, trust me guys i'm not your average 18 year old. I have been homeschooled and I have a head on my shoulders. I have a lot of maturity in a lot of ways - and I'm still getting it in other ways. I have been handling guns since as long as I remember. My family from up there in the great, greats, have been handling guns.

I'd like to apologize to everyone if I offended someone. I think we mainly just had a misunderstanding, however. I think I cleared things up so lets get back to talking about guns guys. Like Tig said, we're all friends on here. I really appreciate you guys sharing with me.

Anybody know why Beretta doesn't produce the 92 series in .45 ACP? I saw that the 96 is .40 S&W...
HenryLeverAction

Postby jeffandsons » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:33 am

the one you dont use! a small gun for your poket needs a ccw permit in most states 12ga at home is good #4 shot dosnt go thru drywall as far a a 9mm if you can get j frame revolver and add crimson trace laser to is good for letting the bad guys know your are serious.
jeffandsons

Postby bigdaddysdaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:05 pm

I would think a .22 hollow point would be the best all round. A .22 round does alot of damage to a human insides.
bigdaddysdaddy

Postby agonist » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:30 am

Huh?
agonist

Postby dsclaiborne31 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:06 am

The best all around handgun is the handgun that you can shoot the most accurately and hit center mass with the most in my honest opinion.
dsclaiborne31

Postby ulgydog56 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:25 pm

whats the best all around handgun---the 357 because its not to small or big and you can shoot more sizes types of rounds thanany other gun.......
ulgydog56

Postby epwrangler » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:09 am

Many of you have made some interesting choices. I haven't seen anything to disagree with but, I want the biggest thing I can handle well at the time. If it is a cannon or a peashooter, I want it to end a threat to me and others I am defending. That means I have to have it when needed. "Gentlemen, choose your weapons," means you get to decide. It is your hide on the line, good luck.
epwrangler

Postby 1911ES » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:35 pm

For my personal preference, it would be the Commander size S&W 1911, due to the .45 ACP and the scandium alloy frame. Perfect pistol without the weight of a full size 1911. We all lead different lifestyles, so opinions may vary... ;-)
1911ES

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter