>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

What is the best all around handgun?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:53 pm

Not at all Shot. I haven't heard that and it would really be a huge loss to lose Colt. That would be one of the worst things that could happen in the American Gun Manufacturing circles. I can't imagine the impact that losing a pillar of the firearm community would have on it. If I remember right, we've had Colt building firearms that have helped build America longer than we've saluted the Statue of Liberty! Correct me if I'm wrong. Regardless, it would be a tragedy for all of us. Can you imagine what the anti gun lefties will have to say? They'll take credit for closing down an American Institution, hell, a global institution! But I'll be first to tell them that their liberal claim to fame has caused thousands of people, Americans, to lose their job. So if the Libs want to take credit for trashing an American worker's way of life, go ahead and do so. It won't go unnoticed at the next election! I hope and pray that it won't come to that and they'll recover and do well. I guess maybe it comes back to buying "American"!

Tig
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby epwrangler » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:08 am

If colt does go under it will be a shame but at least Springfield and others still make some nice 1911 type guns.
epwrangler

Postby shot4funinsun » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:29 am

This I heard from the guys at the gun shop and if they are right (which I hope they are not) it will be a crime towards our handgun community.
shot4funinsun

Postby agonist » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:49 pm

Unless the military is dropping the AR, Colt will be ok. Every time someone buys an AR-15 Colt gets a piece cuz they own the patent. It's a damn shame as it is that they are no longer under the blue dome in Hartford. It's a disgrace that Hartford and Connecticut don't aknowledge they we are the firearm capital of the world. It's pathetic that in the U.S. Hartford is known as the insurance capital when it's world famous for Colt firearms. Colt, Winchester, High Standard, Marlin, Mossberg, NEF and many others some come and gone, all from Ct. Not to mention Smith and Wesson right across the border in Mass. where they think guns are the root of all evil. The rest of New England likes to call them Massholes.
agonist

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:59 pm

That reminds me of an old saying regarding Mass., "Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people in Mass than any legally concealed firearm." Ag, I wasn't aware that Colt had copyright royalties to the AR frame. Isn't there a time limit to that, similar to the pharmaceutical industry? If not they really made some smart business moves! Whatever it takes I can only hope that we don't lose Colt as a global weapons supplier/manufacturer. The impact it would have on the economy of the USA, particularly CT. would be pretty harsh. The contributions Colt has made to the firearms industry, including their place in American history goes without saying. I'd like to add in response to the forum topic, "What is the best all round handgun", you'll be hard put to find something better than the Colt 1911 45acp!

Tig

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby agonist » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:36 am

Unfortunately, Colt doesn't even manufacture in Ct. anymore. I think their main plant is in Virginia now. They have offices in West Hartford and someone told me the custom shop was still here.
agonist

Postby epwrangler » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:53 am

The best gun is the one you like and have confidence in. Today there are many well made guns to choose from. Like most here I have bought a number seeking that perfect one. It is kind of a disease that certain people get and spend a life time loving to suffer from.
epwrangler

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:02 pm

I have to share something surprising with you all. If you remember I had sent my Taurus 850SS revolver back to Taurus repair during the first week of February. During that entire time I was unable to reach anyone there by phone, fax or email. I tried dozens of times and never got an answer. I was beginning to think I would never see it again. Well lo and behold, FEDEX showed up at my door this morning with an overnight box. It didn't have a name on it, just a Miami return address. I couldn't imagine what my wife had bought this time! Well I opened the box since it had my name on it and I about fell down from shock! It was my pistol all wrapped up nice. A note accompanied it and it was a description of what had been found wrong and fixed. It was as I suspected, the extractor and extractor star were defective and replaced. Then I read the note at the bottom and it kind of pisses me off. It said that I should pay better attention to cleaning the pistol after each use and that I shouldn't use reloads anymore. Both issues are BS because I don't use reloads and I am so anal about cleaning my firearms that the chance of finding one of my guns dirty is a big fat ZERO. At least I finally got it back. Now as long as it stays together I guess I'll put up with the remarks. If anyone has to send their firearms back to Taurus, be ready for a very long wait.

Tig

tigwelder56

Postby jdeangelis99 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:12 pm

damn tig thats a very long time to wait..Dosn't taurus have a really good warrenty thu?
jdeangelis99

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:41 pm

They have a lifetime warranty on the gun regardless of owner. I have heard that the reason for the long wait is due to a back log of repair orders. It's good to know that they'll repair any problems but I didn't buy the pistol for its warranty. I'm glad that it was available but had I known it was going to take over four months to get back, I could've replaced the part myself relatively inexpensively. I wasn't aware of their warranty back log until after they had it and had to find that out from another owner that had gone through an even longer wait. I think that a major indication of any company's worth is it's customer service and Taurus didn't impress me at all.

Tig

tigwelder56

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter