>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

What is the best all around handgun?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby Marcbowers » Fri May 18, 2007 6:32 pm

If I had to pick I would go with a quality 1911 .45ACP in auto and in revolvers, a Smith 686 plus, 7 shot .357. They are built like tanks and easy to keep up. Both have a multitude of choices in ammo, and both were built for the cartridge they fire. In other words, they are what I call a smooth ride! But really, there is no "best" just a lot of opinions!
Marcbowers

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri May 25, 2007 12:13 am

I've got several nice handguns, from mini to maxi. Sounds like a Kotex commercial, LOL!! Seriously though my two put them in the grave guns are my Colt 1911 Series 70 .45 auto and my Glock 23 .40 S&W. I'd be hard pressed to pick which one might be better. I think if anything outweighs the other it would be the longevity of the .45acp and it's documented performance in the defensive caliber ring. We're all fortunate to live in a time that has so many superb firearms to choose from. The only problem is the amount of time it'll take to shoot all of them!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby g4l » Fri May 25, 2007 8:50 am

I agree with the Glock 23, I love all my guns but the 23 gets high marks all around. Its fun at the range, conceals well, holds 13+1 rounds of powerful ammo, is tough as nails, the finish equally tough, you get the drift.
g4l

Postby agonist » Fri May 25, 2007 6:30 pm

I love my 1911. I'm not a big fan of Beretta either but I'm currently intrigued by the PX4 Storm. Nice looking, light weight, good capacity, and supposedly sweet shooting and accurate as hell. The barrel actually rotates into battery for a rifle-like lock up.
agonist

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:46 pm

Ag, I've been looking at that too. It is a sharp looking pistol and doesn't follow the usual Beretta fashion. Everything I've heard about it is that it's a very nice handgun and quite reliable. I think Beretta should send one to each of us to review. All in favor raise your hand!!! 8)

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby lotsip81 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:32 pm

I have a PX4 in a .40, and i think it is one of the best guns that i have ever owned. very accurate and very reliable...if your interested go and check one out
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri May 25, 2007 11:07 pm

Thanks for the tip! It really is a nice looking piece. Beretta did a nice job when they developed this one. It looks like it really has an ergonomic grip and a natural pointer. How long have you had yours? Tell us about it. We love a good gun story!! Thanks again...

Tig

tigwelder56

Postby lotsip81 » Sat May 26, 2007 10:29 am

Picked it up about 3 months ago, I almost went with the 9mm but then I decided that I've already had a 9mm and I wanted something that would through more lead!! My only problem was I wasn't sure how much recoil it would have. So I went called all the gun stores within 250 miles and no one had a .40 to shoot, just the 9mm. So I rented the 9 and I was impressed with how little recoil there was. Aim was incredible, pointed to the tareget wonderfully, and yes the ergonomics are phenominal (it also comes with 3 backstraps). I picked this gun up for the first time and i thought if this thing fires as nice as it feels , I gotta get myself one of these. So a week later I went to go grab one up was going to get the 9mm (since I had been able to shoot one).....and thought if the 9mm was so nice, lets try the .40, so I bought the .40 instead. And to be 100 % honest the .40 has a LITTLE more recoil that the 9, but not much. Its just a hair more snappy. As of right now I have about 1200 rounds through mine, no failures of any kind. Not FTF, FTE, nothing, thats even shooting with a bad stance and loose grip (intentionally to see if i could make it fail). As far as I am concerned it hold up to (if not surpasses) all the glocks, sig, HK's, or anything else that I have shot. If you haven't done it yet....go and check out the PX4 forum and get a lot more info on the incredible piece. If debating on getting one, debate no more. Get one, you wont be sorry that you did.

"Lot"
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby agonist » Sat May 26, 2007 10:50 am

Thanks. I'm sold. Now all I need is another $500.
agonist

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat May 26, 2007 12:50 pm

I'll Second that Motion !!

(By the way, very nice story)

tigwelder56

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter