>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Looking for suggestions

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Looking for suggestions

Postby Tinkerhell » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:15 pm

Im new to the gun market and Im hoping for a few suggestions for a gun which meets my needs. Im an extreme cross country runner and at times find my trails taking me into swamps, through creeks, mud, etc. I live in the SouthEast so water moccasins, rattlers, and wild pigs are pretty common - seen em all on trail over the years. I guess Im finally getting old enough that my youth induced invoulnerability if fading so... its time for a bit of something to help out on trail.

Im not too worried about trying to drop a pig but having a good snake gun and something that will at least make a little noise and give dogs/pigs/anything else something to think about besides bothering me. The main two things Im looking for are weight and durability. Since Im running less wieght is obviously better. Since Im running in less than ideal areas I want to know that if I swim across a creek and get sand or mud or whatever in the holster and later I need to pull the trigger Im not going to have to worry about the round firing.

Also I dont want to spend $800 for a pistol. Im think more like $200 - $400 most likely but for the right gun I might reconsider.

So what suggestions would the community experts have for me?
Tinkerhell

Postby CON-T » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:04 am

TINKERHELL, IM NEW AT THIS TOO. BUT I CANT HELP BUT THINK , MAYBE YOU SHOULD RECONSIDER WHERE YOU JOG. ALSO, IM NOT VERSED IN GUNS ENOUGH TO KNOW IF THERE IS EVEN SUCH A GUN THAT YOU COULD SWIM ACROSS A LAKE WITH, AND STILL EXPECT IT TO FUNCTION PROPERLY. LAST TIME I CHECKED, GUNS AND WATER ARE NOT THE BEST OF FRIENDS.

MAYBE SOMEONE CAN SUGGEST A WATERPROOF GUN THAT MIGHT SUIT YOUR NEEDS. I SUGGEST JOGGING IN THE CITY LIMITS, AT WHICH TIME, YOUR CONCERNS WILL BE ABOUT MUGGERS, ROBBERS AND JACKERS INSTEAD OF PIGS AND RATTLESNAKES.

NOT TRYING TO BE SARCASTIC, BUT IT JUST SOUNDS A LITTLE COMPLICATED. HOPE I HELPED...
CON-T

Postby coconutbay » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:54 pm

My sons are cross country runners as well. I would carry a 38 snub, with some snake shot in the first two rounds, followed by 4 hollow points for that wild hog. Smith made a nice model 36 which runs about $250 or so at the Tampa gun show. You could buy a real lightwight, but those usually cost more. Wear your running clothes to the next show and try out whatver feels right. Gluck!
coconutbay

Postby Tinkerhell » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:45 pm

Thanks cnut. Ive ended up with walther p22. Seems the right weight. We shall see.
Tinkerhell

Postby coconutbay » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:04 am

I own one of those too. Its my favorite. The P22 has gone biking with me several times. Many say its too light, but 10 rounds of stingers should be enough to discourage any snake, two legged or otherwise! Besides, with ammo so cheap, youll become very accurate!
coconutbay

Postby whompuss » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:24 pm

Tinkershell- get a Glock 26 in 9mm, Its small enough not to weigh down your fanny pack, packs enough punch to bring down a wild hog with Corbon +P, AND you can swim across a lake, run over it with a Humvee and it will STILL fire every time.
whompuss

Postby bholy2 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:39 pm

I recently bought a Kimber model BP TEN II ,full size 1911 in .45 acp. Im not yet very familiar with it. So can anyone make a suggestion as far what are the best dependable high capacity magazines available? I plan to make it my defensive carry weapon down here in the high homicidal city of New Orleans ,LA. so dependability is a priority. Regards , 1lagator
bholy2

Postby coconutbay » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:24 pm

Update from Florida- I bought a Glock 26 and its now the choice for carry.
coconutbay

Postby rfd339 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:37 am

good choice. g26
rfd339

Postby shot4funinsun » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:30 am

stainless steel revolver, smith and wesson in 38 would do the job.
shot4funinsun

Return to Gun Chatter