>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

.45 ACP or .40S&W????????

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby weekendfunandgun » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:25 pm

Sure enough. I was just making the point that weight isn't the only thing to consider. Some people seem to get caught up in the grain weight and forget about everything else. For example, I would much rather have a .40 +P hollow point load than a plain-jane 230 .45 FMJ. some people assume that the 230 grains means it's better than the +P/HP 40.

I am not suggesting that you, or any other specific person would fall into that category, but as you know, more people read on here than actually post. I was just trying to get the point out there.

Ideally, whatever caliber you are shooting, if your intention is to kill something, you should research the ammo available and go for a fast, expanding, heavy bullet!!
weekendfunandgun

Postby soldonm&p » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:45 am

I have been told .40 and .45 are very close to the same round but the plus to a .40 is less recoil so better for situations that more then one shot is better to keep accuracy..
soldonm&p

Postby weekendfunandgun » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:59 am

Eh, I am not so sure about that. I have had a Glock 27 and still have a Glock 36. These two guns are very similar size/weight and a pretty decent side by side comparison. The recoil is really about the same to my hands. Obviously that can very with vastly different grain/pressure loads, but just straight up WWB in both, it's really to close to tell. Well, for me anyway.
weekendfunandgun

Postby agonist » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:12 pm

Recoil often has as much to do with the gun as the cartridge. I have a compact 9mm (3.5 in barrel) that kicks every bit as hard as a 1911 (.45 acp 5in barrel).
agonist

Postby thinktwice » Wed May 02, 2007 11:08 pm

Be it a 40 or 45 you must become proficient with with what you shoot. We all know it's about bullet placement. So how do you become proficient?? Practice, practice, practice. The 45 might have a little more kick to it, but you adjust for that. How? Practice. I realize that some of us don't get as much range time as others, but it's really important to get to the range as much as possible. If the 40 feels more comfortable to you then get the 40 and practice as much as you can. Now back to caliber. To me there is no question, once again it's simple logic a bigger bullet is going to take out more mass of whatever it hits. I don't knock any of the other calibers as a matter of fact I have several others. I just prefer the 45 acp . But my advice again, is to get a weapon you feel comfortable with and practice.
thinktwice

Previous

Return to Gun Chatter