>
Board Index Getting Started New Gun Owners

Do I need a gun? How do you decide?

A place for people new to the firearm community to ask questions.

Do I need a gun? How do you decide?

Postby brian3 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm 66, average size, live in a good area west of Detroit, no trouble in 11 years. Why should I own a gun..seriously. What goes into the decision to buy one?
brian3

Postby Will_Carry » Mon May 16, 2011 5:04 pm

To own a gun or not to own a gun.....that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles

And by opposing end them.....(I had to memorize that as a kid)

'tis better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

If you have gone 66 years and never needed a gun, chances are you will never need one for personal protection, but I could be wrong.

I grew up with firearms. It just a part of my lifestyle. I enjoy hunting and target shooting. As far as self defense is concerned, street smarts and good common sense will get you out of more trouble than a gun (but not all). Gun ownership is a tremendous resposiblity and if you choose to purchase one you will need to accept that. Safety training is a must. Before I purchased a gun, in 2011, I would find a place to shoot it like a local shooting range. Then learn the 4 laws of gun safety, then rent a gun and see how you like it.

It's great stress relief. Good luck brother.
Will_Carry

Postby MightyFoFaad » Thu May 19, 2011 10:38 pm

@ Will_Carry ...To be, or not to be ... what was the question? Oh yeah, good answer, and eloquently stated. brian3 sounds like he's been thinking about this for a while & probably wants either (1) somene to give him a nudge in the direction he already wants to go and/or (2) some good talking points to use on his wife whose been resolute about "not" having a gun in the house. Other than that ... I have never met a man or woman yet, who has taken a turn behind a .22 rifle ... and didn't think it was fun. brian3 "DO IT!"
MightyFoFaad

Postby ulgydog56 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:30 pm

hey you live by detroit,i grew up there ...get training and get a gun......they go to the suburbs to get there money,let no other man direct my destiny.........
ulgydog56

Postby robalan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:15 pm

When I get in my car I put a seat belt on every time. It is nice to have the protection. Years could go by without an accident or it may not happen at all. Even with the belt on I could get hurt or killed. But it is smart to wear it. Having a gun is basically the same thing. With a little luck you will never need it. But it is nice to have it just in case....
robalan

Postby razr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:40 am

Dont wait till you are 80 years old. I know you want one or you wouldnt be asking that question.

Most of us wont get a chance to shoot an intruder. So look at guns as fine mechanical scupltures that can control an explosion within a couple of feet in front of your face. Come on, I am running out of ideas, go get one and may be you'll end up with the same addiction like the rest of us where you'll need a new one every 30 days.
razr

Postby Gloc9mm » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:27 am

*Hopefully no, you will never NEED a Gun. But it's a lot like your having Health Insurance. Hopefully you will not need it, But if you do... your family could go under financially because you never prepared. But unlike Health Ins, in this day and age your entire family could end up dead if you have nothing to defend y'all with.

*Preperation is the key here!

The nice thing about weapons is you also get to play with them at the Range, so it's never a useless investment. Turn your thinking into making it more of a hobby that just might save either your or someone elses life one day. I have carried for over 30 yrs and Thank God I have never had the need to pull it out in public. And it also gives me an easy feeling each night when I lay my head down to sleep, knowing it is right next to me on the end table!

*Go for it, we all know you want one! Just don't be dumb and purchase the cheapest thing you can find. (Reliability ratings and comments are right here to your left for most weapons.)

**BUT, If you cannot afford reliable, IMHO I'd suggest you don't purchase one until you can. Plus if you do decide to purchase one, also go the extra mile and get proper training and a CCW. (Carry Permit) A Weapon is useless when it is home when you just might need it!

PS- Was your question asked to justify buying one for yourself, or to get a load of reasons for your wife so she allows it?? *Just kiddin Buddy!!
Gloc9mm

Postby ulgydog56 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:28 pm

ditto that ....plus guns tend to increase in value over time,that are a commodity...............
ulgydog56

Postby bulletproofvest » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:38 am

Not everyone should be given the privilege to handle a gun, especially if they don't use it with proper ethics.

-----------------------------------------------

Protect yourself from immediate death. http://lightbulletproofvest.wordpress.com
bulletproofvest

Postby snke_doctr » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:49 am

Big descision, but since you're asking you must be at least 80% sure you WANT one. Read what people's posts on this Forum are saying; go to a few gun ranges & rent semi-autos & revolvers, see which kind of firearm you like best, does it fit your hand, can you reach the trigger, does it hold the amount of ammo you'd like it to;

When you obtain your CCW, ask the police about gun safety classes (they'll be very helpfull). Do this first; with it you can purchase a handgun & not have to wait for any paperwork to go thru(you will have already done it).

When you do decide to buy a gun, go to several shops, ask ?'s til you find a good place w/ helpfull, knowledgeable

people & purchase written material about gun laws in your state as well as safety courses (a lot of gun shops offer free membership w/ the NRA).

All kidding aside, if your wife or girl friend is hasseling you about gun ownership, take her to the range w/ you. She might just discover for herself how much fun shooting is.

Stay safe my friend.
snke_doctr

Next

Return to New Gun Owners