>
Board Index Getting Started Website Help

.45 Semi-auto pistols

Read about whats new and improved on the site, or make suggestions about how we can make the website better.

.45 Semi-auto pistols

Postby mcoop1 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:58 am

Hello,

Looking for some direction as I research different models/brands of .45 pistols. I shoot mainly on the range and probably will be using reloads in the future. If and when I decide to get a CHL I am looking at the chrome 3" versions.

I am looking for a .45acp pistol that is robust enough to handle different factory loads and reloads without jamming.

Is there a brand out there y'all have had experience with that meets this requirement?

Is that realistic? Jams just a part of the semi-auto's?

I have been reviewing youtube commentaries and have seen

good things and bad things on various brands.

Thanks in advance

Mark
mcoop1

Postby Will_Carry » Fri May 27, 2011 2:02 pm

There are way too many choices in 45acp. I have an XD-45 that eats everything and wants more. Sig, HK and Kimber are top of the food chain. If you don't have a 1911, that would be my first choice. There are also custom 1911 makers if you have a couple of grand.

Just picking a model 1911 can be a daunting task. They are all the same, but of varying quality. I choose a Colt 1911 for sentimental reasons. You could blindfold me and have me shoot a 1911 and I could not tell who's name is stamped on it.
Will_Carry

Postby mcoop1 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:22 pm

I like the 1911 I was certified with it; many, many years ago. I went and researched the XD-45 saw a review and it definately meets the ammo requirement. Can you tweek the trigger squeeze any on it?

I will see if I can do some test firings with a rental at the range.

Only down side is at my age reading glasses are becoming a bitch to sight in with and the target at the same time. I suppose I could alway add an after market night sight.
mcoop1

Postby Will_Carry » Fri May 27, 2011 5:50 pm

I here ya. I can see the sights really well with my reading glasses but the target is a blur. Without my reading glasses the sights are a blur.

There are some trigger kits available for the XD-45. The trigger on mine is broken in pretty well after a couple of thousand rounds. I like it much better than the Glock triggers.
Will_Carry

Postby driverofall » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:56 pm

I'd go for Glock 30 for the range and maybe the G36 for carry. Just can't go wrong with a Glock
driverofall

Postby eisen » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:43 pm

if u like 1911"s check out sti international competition pistols,they are made in texas, they have 1911's and double stack versions 2011's , i have a sti elektra, and it is a seriously fun shooter ,good luck
eisen

Return to Website Help