>
Board Index Getting Started Website Help

add gun to holster

Read about whats new and improved on the site, or make suggestions about how we can make the website better.

Postby bigdave » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:48 pm

add gun to holster feature still not working
bigdave

Postby Tralik33 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:35 pm

I'm fairly new here as well and I love the concept of the site. I've been coming by here once or twice a day for the past few weeks and have noticed quite a few issues with the site, not the least of which are regular outages or severe bandwidth limitations preventing connection. The site times out on me very regularly or may take upwards of 2 minutes to load a page on occasion and I am using a very high speed connection.

I've not been able to get the add to holster function to work either.

One other small issue I have is the way the pages display posts. Most forums start with the original post at the top of the page and all subsequent replies are listed in order down the page. It's not a big deal but it is a little irritating to have to scroll all the way down the page, or even a few pages back, to read the initial post and follow the conversations in chronological order.

Anyhow, it might be worth considering a move to another service or even possibly starting a new site with the same concept. The idea of a forum where actual users can discuss and review firearms is great and provides a great resource to other firearm owners and those looking to purchase firearms.
Tralik33

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:17 pm

T-33,

I apologize for your continued inconveniences. I'm a moderator, but our webmaster, "Active Fan" limited our abilities to make forum wide changes. If you notice on the homepage here, there's a lengthy list of Moderators. Truth is everyone has quit due to the ongoing problems, similar to those you mentioned. Myself and Belt Buckle are the only two members left. We can't even get the owner/webmaster to respond to our requests regarding the forum operation. I have sent so many requests to him for help with our problems, not to mention all of the requests for help I receive daily from our members, that I'm simply stunned by his lack of consideration. As long as he keeps the lights on, I'm going to try and lend assistance to the members. I wish I could do more for the members, but I feel like a one armed wall paper hanger! I stopped pulling my hair out after I started looking like a horror movie zombie! This used to be the best forum of its kind on the web and we were quite proud of what we were able to provide the members. As moderator's, we perform our job free of charge. I'm still here because I like what I do. There's a serious need for places like this. It's my way of doing something to protect and defend our Second Amendment rights. I've been fed up more than once and felt like throwing in the towel. But what purpose would that serve? My ability here is very limited but I'll do everything I can to keep things moving forward. I'll continue to try and contact the webmaster. Without his help here, there is nothing that the Moderators can do, outside of research and answering questions.

If you have any other questions I can help you with, please feel free to let me know.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby FLOTUS » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:10 am

TRALIK and TIG... I've been contributing to this conversation for several weeks now (TIG and I go way back- LOL). Anyway, I would like to bring up something I mentioned below... the subject of establishing this site on a Ning network. I know, TIG, that you said the question of how to inform everyone here that we're setting up shop elsewhere is a daunting one, but perhaps it can be handled in stages. Maybe you could set up the other site first (I believe it's not too difficult), and then continue to post announcements in every chat forum throughout this site until - gradually - everyone will cross over. I think it will take only a few months to transition.

It might be well worth it, considering that most of TIG's time around here is spent having to explain this site's hostage situation. Additionally, if you are only one of two site moderators, I would have to imagine that it will eventually take a toll on your health. It's an overwhelming task.

Just a reminder.... I'm a member of www.teamsarah.org and www.goprevolution.ning.com , both are Ning networks. Check out their forums and see what you think.
FLOTUS

Postby Tralik33 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:19 pm

No worries Tig. Like I said, I'm new here but it's easy to see that you work very hard on behalf of this site and its members and it is greatly appreciated. I've dealt with similar situations with non-responsive web hosts. It's a tough situation. It does sound like we may need organize an effort to move the site or create a similar site that is a little easier for someone to manage. Does anyone have any idea of what kind of traffic this site sees in a month? That would help in figuring out what kind of bandwith and service a similar site would run. I guess there's a possibility of getting a new site sponsored that might be worth pursuing as well.
Tralik33

Postby lotsip81 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Tralik33,

If you are truly interested in some of that traffic information, I have run accross is before. I can go back and find the site adn give it you you, if you'd like. Just let me know and I'll see what I can find.

lotsip81
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby Tralik33 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:55 pm

That'd be great. I'm not an internet expert or a programmer but I'll do some looking into what all would be involved in re-creating a site like this. It has some great potential.
Tralik33

Postby lotsip81 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:32 am

Tralik33,

Check your mailbox, I sent you some of the information that I was able to find. Hope this helps, if it wasn't exactly what you wanted let me know, and I'll see what I can do for you. Let me know that you got the message, either here or respond to me in my mailbox. Reason being is somtimes the mailbox messages have been known to not show up once in a while.
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:47 pm

I must admit that I don't know anything about web hosting, setting up a site and that has prevented me from pursuing it. I'm still at a loss for words regarding the webmaster in charge of this forum. There was a time that this was the go to forum for information and friendship. Why Active Fan bailed out without any explanation is hard to figure. He must review it, he's still keeping the lights on. I'd welcome hearing from you Jeff, it's about time.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Tralik33 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Maybe this is a pipe-dream, but I see some real potential in this site, not the least of which if full-fledged sponsorship by various firearms retailers and shooting related websites. It seems to me that there is a pretty significant demand for accurate, reliable user reviews of firearms. Sure, some reviews can be found in magazines, but truth be told, those reviews are done generally by experts and are almost always positively glowing about whatever firearm they review because let's be honest, those companies that manufacture the firearms are also the primary advertisers in the magazine making it counterproductive for the magazine to give anything less than good reviews of any gun.

I personally came to this website for that exact reason, because I trust the opinions of the every-day-joe more than I do someone who gets paid to review. The users here have no vested interest in recommending or not recommending a product and can be objective without fear of repercussions.

Anyhow, I'd like to see either this site expand and improve or a new site start that can be a central repository for all things related to reviews of firearms.

Again, I'm no expert on web hosting, but I work with a gentleman who is very knowledgable on the subject. He is looking at the site now to see what it would cost to basically re-create it. I downloaded some web development tools to tinker with last night as well. I'll continue to look into it and let you all know what I find. It might take me a few days though as I've recently had a death in the family that will take me out of town for a day or two later this week. When I learn more, I'll let you all know. Until then, keep your powder dry. :-)
Tralik33

PreviousNext

Return to Website Help