>
Board Index Miscellany Legal & Political

CCW in Michigan

Get informed and debate about civil rights and legal issues such as concealed carry, self-defense, and gun control.

CCW in Michigan

Postby bobbylewp229 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm

As I am sure some of you will see from the Pistols forum, that I am a new to the hand gun world. I recently ordered a SIG P229R9mm and it is taking forever to get here. Here is my dilema I am enrolled in a CCW class to obtain my CCW completion cert. I do not have my own weapon to qualify in the shooting portion with. Do I need to qualify with the exact caliber/gun that I am registering my CCW with? or can I qualify with say my father's or Brothers Gun of a different caliber?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
bobbylewp229

Postby Blackshirt » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:20 pm

No, you do not need the exact gun or exact caliber in your CCW class that you plan on carrying. However, if you plan on carrying a semi-auto you must qualify with a semi-auto. This will allow you to also carry a revolver in the future if you wish. Also, you need to qualify with atleast a 9mm bullet semi-auto to carry any other size gun like a .32 or a .44 magnum. SO, if you qualify w/ a revolver you can only carry a revolver and to carry larger or smaller calibers you must quilify with atleast a 9mm or larger in a semi-auto.
Blackshirt

Postby who_dat » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:53 am

In Michigan, you do not have to qualify with a certain gun to carry that gun. In fact, you can take the class and shoot the instructor's .22 semi-auto, and go buy a .50 revolver for your carry gun. With all due respect to Blackshirt, even though the methods for teaching the CCW class are standardized throughout the US, the Carry laws are still different and regulated by the individual states.

I repeat, in Michigan, there are no caliber or size restrictions or requirements, now go enjoy!
who_dat

Postby louismacote » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:37 am

Modern Michigan carry laws allow someone to carry a firearm not "registered" to them. I carry ccw in MI myself. I feel safer knowing there are more responsible people like you carrying in my home state. One thing you may want to consider is this. Winter can bring very heavy clothing, and penetration of some rounds may be questionable. Best way to solve that, get a ccw gun that shoots a bullet beginning with the number 4. My ccw for sumer is a 38special, but I switch to a 45acp when the carharts come out. Just a thought. And NO, there is no law requring you to certify with the gun/caliber you intend to carry or anything like that.
louismacote

Postby Frost » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:13 am

I just finished my CCW a few weeks ago, and the others are right. You can use any registered gun for your class. you must shoot 30 rounds in front of your instructor as part of the qualification. Some instructors ask that you shoot 50 to teach different correctional issues on your stance and grip with the last 20. Which I found very helpful.

You can also carry any registered gun, yours or a friends. But remember, carrying someone elses gun also means your carrying the responcibility of any crimes commitied with that gun. Know your friends well before you carry thier equipment.
Frost

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Hey Will

How does NC stack up CC law wise. I haven't been there since I was at Ft. Bragg in 1968. I was on Smokebomb Hill with the 6th Special Forces then and did not carry outside the gate.

Texas has changed some of the requirements.

You can qualify with a .32 apc or larger now, then use anything. It does still requiire you to stick to revolvers if you qualify with one. I'm not sure the logic of that. Lay it off to bureaucrats.

We have also passed the Castle protection law on home and property defence. I was always ready to kill to protect family, life, and property, so now I can do it legally without having to worry about lawsuits, etc.

Texas still has the "Travelers" rigfht (Crossing 3 county lines) to carry a handgun in the vehicle. It gets a little fuzzy wether it needs to be concealed on displayed. This too is under review and probably will be taken up this legeslative session.
TEXVETNAM67-68

Return to Legal & Political