>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

What is a good concealed carry?

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Postby Doriadiver » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:27 am

I like the thumb break on a holster for added security,though I've heard crap from others about "adding a step" to the draw. Really? How tough is it? Time Consuming? If you practice the technique, as you should, it's automatic.
Doriadiver

Postby GOANRA » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:06 pm

In LE, 'thumb-breaks' were required for any level I holster by dept policy. I trained with many depts at various levels around the country and don't recall any exceptions.

If a thumb-break 'adds-a-step' for anyone, they are not drawing properly.

For CC, you don't want your sidearm falling to the ground when some dirtbag corners you into a LTL fistfight.

It'd be way embarrassing to be shot with your own gun.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby St8Shooter » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:37 pm

It's similar to learning to use for example a serpa holster(which I love). Practice and train how you fight. It becomes second nature real quick.

Hey since it came up about thumb breaks, how to they affect carry with something like a 1911 cond I???
St8Shooter

Postby ulgydog56 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:09 pm

I have dropped a gun on a job site using a ostwb holster with no catch and was mad at myself, and it did the gun no good hitting the concrete floor ether,lesson learned.............
ulgydog56

Postby BrianB » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Hey St8Shooter,

I won't try to tell you that I know anything at all about 1911s but I was watching a video today where a guy showed how it would knock the safety off. Not sure if that is in particular what your looking for.

Lets see if I can find it again.....Yeah, here it is. Starts off about the crossbread then moves on about a couple other holsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZNhIWzx ... re=channel
BrianB

Postby St8Shooter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Hey thanks Brian! good vid!
St8Shooter

Postby JustBen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:36 am

Bought a new BUG a few weeks ago. S&W340CT J frame .357 mag. I feel a heck of a lot better having 5 rounds in a wheel gun than I ever did with 7 rounds in my LCP .380. Currently I carry it in my pocket in an extra Uncle Mikes #4 I had lying around. Will need to get it into something better soon, but like to carry it in my pocket. Any recommendations.
JustBen

Postby GOANRA » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Ben, Good choice there. How not to love 13 oz.??

I carried a CH Arms .357mag 'Pug' [5 shot] for 12 years as an off-duty sidearm. I liked pocket carry too, so I put a bobbed hammer on it. Eventually wore it out though.

Often, I used it on-duty when in plainclothes as my 'primary' sidearm and never felt a need for a "BUG' [Back Up Gun]... turns out I never needed a BUG, on or off duty.

Nowdays, when I don't pocket carry, I use a Fobus paddle holster that just slips on over my belt & hugs real tight. I got my last one for my .45acp with the 360* adjustable angle on ebay and love it.

Got one for my 2 inch snubbie, too.

Recently got a Ch Arms 'On Duty" 5 shot, snubbie 38 +P with shrouded hammer at 12 oz. Love IT!!

I often use my .380 'mouse gun' with pocket clip in this killer hot weather though.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby JustBen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:09 am

Goanra:

I think you are spot on. After carrying this gun for a few weeks, I feel like I don't even need my primary carry Glock 23 with the extra two magazines, (44 rounds total). At least I hope I never do. For now I am going to keep the little power house in my pocket and see how it goes.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ben
JustBen

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:54 am

Hey Ben, if you're still looking for a pocket holster, you need to take a look at the Desantis Nemesis. It's all I use. The best part of it is the $14.00 price tag!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

PreviousNext

Return to Concealed Carry