>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

Picking a piece...

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Picking a piece...

Postby jcsturgeon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:37 pm

Hey guys, there's a lot of choices out there for concealed carry, and I am just trying to narrow the field a little bit, can you help out with some suggestions?

-Price range is <$500

-I have big hands, so it needs to be something compact, but big enough (maybe with a magazine extender like a Walther PPK) to fit my big ol' paws!

-I think I would prefer 9mm but I am open to other calibers like .380 maybe?

-Needs to be semi-automatic

-Would prefer something with an external hammer. Glocks and Springfield XD's are great, but I think I would like something that can be fired in single action.

-I'd like about a 10 shot capacity.

-This is a style choice, but nothing nickel :-)

I'd appreciate any help on narrowing down the options. I've seen a few I like, but I want to do my homework.
jcsturgeon

Postby judgeparker » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:56 pm

I'm kinda partial to 1911 and some company's make them with a double stack mag. I saw a rock Island like that the other day.It was in your price range.
judgeparker

Postby Will_Carry » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 am

I'll go +1 on the Rock Island 1911.
Will_Carry

Postby jcsturgeon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:15 pm

I have a full size Rock Island 1911 A1 and I like it okay, but it took some time with the dremmel tool and a lot of rounds to make it reliable. If I had a carry gun, I would want to make sure it didn't jam on me.

Of course, I've seen some compact .45's and they look awfully nice, still... 1911's in particular are made to shoot hardball rounds and even though the .45 has great stopping power I was thinking about a 9mm... something where I could put a hollow point type of personal defense round in.
jcsturgeon

Postby GOANRA » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Seems you might like the Ruger Model P95 Pistol, 15 + 1, 9MM w/Picatinny Rail/Blue Finish and 3.9" Barrel. It has the exposed hammer & should be good for large hands and doesn't have that nasty beavertail that makes it so hard to use the hammer as a safety.

Under $500.

An idea, anyway.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby whitehood » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Goanra, this guy jc is a liberal who is playing everybody. Look at his list of stipulations. He's really talking about a Springfield Amory EMP without putting out the bucks for it.
whitehood

Postby lotsip81 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:50 pm

Liberal or conservative, lets make sure we keep it polite. If he wishes to see what is out there that is similar to a Springfield Armory EMP, then let him look. Maybe he can find something similar at a less expensive price, or maybe he can't. Are you sure he has even seen an EMP? If you don't shoot often it is kind of a steep price for a safe queen.

BTW the Springfield Armory EMP is a nice looking piece!
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby jcsturgeon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:10 pm

Honestly, I've never heard of a Springfield EMP, but you're right, after a quick GIS I can tell they are a nice looking piece.
jcsturgeon

Postby GOANRA » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:26 pm

If someone wants a Springfield EMP for under $500, the Bersa Thunder 9 [13 rnd] and 40 [10 rnd] Mini / Ultra-Compacts, would seem logical alternatives. The exposed hammers are quite popular.

They also come in 380 acp.

I always want twice the shooter for half the price, myself ... just doesn't happen very often.

To be particular... either pay the price, buy used or get a clone. Otherwise, the alternative is the inevitable "compromise", which I've learned leads to a collection over the years. LOL
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby whitehood » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Look at this guys stipulations. Single action, exposed hammer, 9mm, I don't think he means nickel but non-stainless. He also says he's big with big hands but wants it to be compact, possibly in 380 for less than 500 bucks. Lots of compromises here that don't make a lot of sense. Only two/three easy production weapons that fit the bill and none of them are 500 bucks. Springfield EMP, Colt Defender and one the short slide Kimbers in escalating price range. Best deal for our liberal buddy here is to find a used Colt Officers model and make due.
whitehood

Next

Return to Concealed Carry