>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

need advice on a conceal and carry!!!

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:58 pm

I recently had an opportunity to pick up a used 75 BD (decocker) but found the trigger reach to be too long. I was surprised that they would've designed one of their bread and butter guns with that kind of an obstacle. My hands aren't large but they aren't small by any stretch. I've never held another CZ model, is it possible that it could be limited to certain models? I was sure disappointed.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby springerman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:45 pm

I have a XD9 subcompact and carry in a crossbreed supertuck holster at the 4 Oclock posistion on my body. I absolutley love this gun. A friend of mine was dead set on a glock or a Smith M&P. We went to the local gunshop and he walked out with a XD9 with a 4 inch bbl and said to me on the way home " man, I love how that gun feels in my hand". But back to my original comment, Very easy to conceal and wear all day long. here in the great (hahahaha) state of new york we are limited to 10 rds so I don't know how how much the high cap guns weigh but I can tell you mine with 10+1 is quite nice. good luck shopping and please let us know how you make out.
springerman

Postby GOANRA » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:53 pm

nits, You seem to want a 'range' gun for carry. I'm originally from the north, but always wanted a small/light off-duty gun.

I've owned most of the popular, more expensive sidearms.

Now, my heaviest is my Taurus PT745 at 20.8 oz and my lightest is my Kel-Tec P3AT .380 at 7 oz. I love my Kel-Tec PF9, with pocket clip, with 7+1 capacity, small grip, thin and weighs 12 oz. Cost about $280., but is one of my favorite carry arms. It's NOT fun to shoot, but it is there if I need it.

You might want to try the Taurus PT709 Slim, for carrying. It is a +P rated 9mm and, like all Tauruses, comes with 2 keys to lock the slide, which seems to be a concern of yours.

If you get a sidearm that's too heavy, you will begin to leave it home. The grip is the toughest part to conceal. I'm good with my pinky under the mag.

Also there are other Taurus models, especially in the "PRO" series that should suit your needs, and are "lockable".

Use the best ammo for carry and maybe pick up a .22 for the range to stay in practice.

My carry sidearms are NOT comfortable to shoot ... they don't need to be since I only test fire them every 6 months & make sure I can hit accurate at 20 ft.

If you shoot someone from more than 20 ft, you will probably have to sell your house for attorney's fees.

Good luck, whichever way you go.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby whitehood » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Tig,

The new compacts from CZ are in a class among the very best. I'll agree with you about the CZ 75 compacts, they're a generation or two old but the equivalent of the Beretta 92. What I like about them is that you can prep the trigger. It takes a bit of practice, but still very doable.
whitehood

Postby GOANRA » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:14 pm

springerman, I just sold my XD9 with three 16 round mags & the gear package. I can't imagine carrying a 10 +1 XD9 with a 4 inch bbl as anything but a duty arm, especially with that Glock trigger.

But, it sure felt good in my big paws. The slimmer grip is nice for large 'chunky' hands & shorter fingers that fill up quick.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby nitsudredle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:04 am

i guess your right i do want to carrry a range gun as you say i want to buy something i can carry and enjoy carrying. i wish i lived in an open carry state so i would not be stuck in this dillema. i dont see the point in spending five to six hundred on something i only fire twice a year. i want to shoot whatever it is i buy often like twice a month. as everyone says practice makes perfect right?? i do like the xd alot and i like the sr9c. but im going tomorrow to check out that beretta tig proposed. but im also open to suggestions on anything ill check out the taurus line. i want so many. but can only afford so much. im still upset about the glock as i have always wanted one.... is it possible i can find a range and carry gun all in one package? or do i have to buy multiple guns to achieve this? and is taurus a quality product? should warranty have any factor in my decision? any way i have to go clean up to make the girlfriend happy. going to the local shop to look hold and dream in the morning. any new info or suggestions will be helpful. im gonna check posts before i go and make a list to look at and then consider others as well.
nitsudredle

Postby nitsudredle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:06 am

and what exactly is the difference in a compact and subcompact? and how hard would it be to conceal the compact versus a subcompact?
nitsudredle

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:13 am

Different manufacturers have differences that would take too much time to describe. I suggest you research this website, the various manufacturers and Google for the differences. A subcompact will have shorter barrels and generally shorter grip lengths than the compact models which make their concealability more obtainable.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby springerman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:05 pm

I can tell you for a fact that my sub xd9 is a joy to shoot at the range and also to carry. It's fairly inexpensive (if thats actually possible) to shoot. I've shot mine then shot my buddy's and can't tell that he has the longer bbl. It is a shame though that I bought my Kimber UltraCarry II a month after my xd cause it is now my full time carry gun. It is also a hoot to shoot at the range.
springerman

Postby nitsudredle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm

im with spriger so far i love the xd. still havent shot one though. found one for about 540 at trader world. think im gonna rent and shoot one and then buy my own as long as i have no probs while shooting it then i think the next gun i buy would be a full size xdm. they didnt have the beretta though kinda made me sad and i felt like the taurus was small and felt cheap in my hand.
nitsudredle

PreviousNext

Return to Concealed Carry