>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

need advice on a conceal and carry!!!

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Postby nitsudredle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:45 am

and i also like the glock 19 seeing as it has the full size grip but is only bigger than the xd in barrel length. does anyone know if the glock is slimmer and if so by how much? i cant find the width of the xd anywhere.
nitsudredle

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:18 pm

The XD Service Model is 1.25 inches wide. Glocks are 1.18 inches wide.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby GOANRA » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:12 pm

Glocks are fine for CC, but a good holster is required to protect the trigger. The Springfield XD has more carry options due to the grip safety.

Myself, I prefer a short/slim grip for concealment, and a max weight of 20 oz, otherwise I'd leave it home too often.

I'm very comfortable with 5 [good] rounds... if I'm not in uniform or on-the-job.

I don't shoot my CC sidearms often. Just enough to be accurate to 30 ft [which is a ridiculous distance for 'defense'].

I stay in practice with a similar style 22 pistol at the range.

During my career in law enforcement, [Detroit area], I never knew of any cop firing at more than 12 ft with a sidearm or needing more than 3 rounds. It just ain't like Hollywood.

Five muggers in a parking garage? Pop one round and they ALL disappear... no one wants to be next.

Too many unarmed, easy pickin', anti-gun types to choose from.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby nitsudredle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:31 pm

i just feel like the xd is a good hybrid of everything i want....
nitsudredle

Postby whitehood » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:55 pm

goanra,

I agree with you about most of the G ( I'm forbidden to say the word ) types. Drop one and the rest will haul ass. The problem is some of the cartel guys won't and they could become a huge problem. I live on the border now. It's a lot like the Old West, except I now call it the New West.
whitehood

Postby GOANRA » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:28 pm

I prefer the XD over the Glock [for non-duty use] due to the grip safety alone.

There is a "G" word now!

I can't keep up with the 'thought police'. I know you can't use the term "terrorist" or "terrorism" [they are man-made disasters... or something]. Can't say "Muslim Extremist", "Islamic Fundamentalist" or "War on Terror" .... Have to say Gay instead of Fag and Autistic instead of Retard... etc., etc.

Can't even ask a woman if she wants to go out for a 'weiner' without getting sued.

I need a rule book to communicate!!

Living on the southern border creates a dilema; more [potential] need for firepower + more need for concealment to look harmless. Got to love Texas laws though.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Postby lrgcal4fun » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:32 pm

The Kahr pistols are a good choice for C.C. Very slim and a great reputation. Also, the CW models are much more affordable than the rest of their line. Worth thinking about.
lrgcal4fun

Postby 1911ES » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:52 am

I try to stick with a quality pistol for CCW. Remember, having less weight is one thing, but too light, and you have to fight the pistol to stay on target and follow-up shots.

And, the smaller the caliber ...25, .32, .380 ... the more chance the perp. has of surviving, and getting a second chance at you.....

Glock, S&W and XD's all have lightweight carry pistols that fit the carry role perfectly .... but are still accurate enough for range.

We all have a personal preference in what type of CCW we choose. You do ...in return, get what you pay for.
1911ES

Postby JustBen » Wed May 19, 2010 8:44 pm

Almost all the instructors at Tactical Defense Institute in Southern Ohio carried the Kahr 9mm. Nice looking gun, slim and good quality.
JustBen

Postby GOANRA » Sat May 22, 2010 8:17 pm

I was looking a Kahrs in 45acp a while back, but the online reviews scared me a bit. Then I spoke to some folks who've owned them & got great reviews.

I handled the Kahr 45CW, but found the grip was too long for me [I just can't conceal a long grip]. I ended up with a Taurus Millenium PT745PRO [6+1] in .45acp, +P rated, 21 oz & slimmer than the Kahr.

The online reviews for the Millenium series bashed it pretty good. Took it to the range twice now... close to 400 rounds [Federal AE 230s] & not a hiccup. Dead accurate, too.

I still have to slingshot the slide on a mag change [I've always done that anyway] so its not quite broke in yet.

As a CC only sidearm, it will last me a lifetime. I sold my big dollar sidearms & am much happier now.

I don't feel like I'm compromising anymore.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

PreviousNext

Return to Concealed Carry