>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

Crossbreed Holsters

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Crossbreed Holsters

Postby BrianB » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:58 pm

So last week I got in my two crossbreed holsters I ordered. One for my Sigma 40 and the other for my Taurus pt111 mil pro (9mm).

So, I have never carried a gun till getting these in, never used any other type of holster so I can not say that this one is better than anything else out there.

What I can say is that it does seem pretty comfortable but does take a bit of getting used to. One thing I did not expect, being inexperienced, is that there would be a gap behind the holster of my pants and skin. Does that make sense? In other words, behind the holster the pants don't meet skin right away. Understandable but not something I imagined till wearing it. I would assume that would be the case with any IWB.

I also find that I have to be careful holstering the gun and making sure not to push it in too far. I don't know that right handed people would have an issue or not, but being left handed, the magazine eject button sits just barely above the outside upper edge of the kydex holster. Push it in too far and the mag is loose. Draw the gun after that and the mag falls right to the floor. Luckily I figured this out at home very quickly after getting the holster and practice drawing and holstering with it at home. Left me a bit paranoid going out with it, kept wanting to reach back and check the mag. Would not help much with concealment to be doing that though I think.

Seems to retain the gun pretty well, and even if not that seems to be adjustable with a hairdryer, so not too much to worry about there. I feel more comfortable with my shirt tucked in though, as opposed to out, due to the concern about the mag possibly falling out though. For the most part, leaving my shirt tail out is not a problem, but considering I ride a motorcycle alot, I would hate to arrive somewhere and find I dropped a loaded magazine somewhere down the road, so to speak. Having the shirt tail tucked on though would at least provide a safety net in case the mag was to fall out for some reason.

The thing I can say for sure about the holster, even considering my inexperience, is that that it does a pretty good job of concealing a gun, no problem there. My wife and kids could not tell I had it on at all. I also have gone out with it on a few times and did not notice any funny looks. I have noticed though that if I bend far enough the handle will print so that is something to avoid if possible I suppose. I can also experiment with cant and ride height and such if necessary.

Anyways, pretty happy with it so far.
BrianB

Postby JustBen » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:43 pm

Some guns allow you to switch the magazine release to the other side. Might be worth looking into.
JustBen

Postby BrianB » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Actually, after writing my last post, I tried and tried to reproduce the result of getting the gun to go in far enough to push the mag release and it just was not going to happen. Maybe it was just one freak event or perhaps something else pushed the mag release rather than the holster that I was unaware of.

So, other than that apparent aberration, these holsters seem really great and I believe I would recommend them to anyone.

On a sort of side note but having to do with the topic, I spent all of yesterday (21st) with my wife in her CHL class. They allow a person to sit in without paying, they just won't do any paperwork or whatever for someone not paying. So anyways, I wore my crossbreed holster with my Sigma .40 all day with simply a loose T-shirt un-tucked covering it and did not get any funny looks or anything from anyone. If someone did notice they ignored it. I suppose an exception to this was there were a couple times I would sit down next to my wife and she would mess with my T-shirt a little as she felt something somewhere was printing in some way. Since no one else noticed it, I believe she was just being a bit overly aware since she was the only one who knew it was there.

Also, nothing to do with the topic, when she went to do the range portion of the class I went as well but went to the rifle range to scope in my second Ruger 10/22 that I just got. Fantastic gun with great accuracy, at least at 25 yards which was the range I was using.
BrianB

Postby BrianB » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:19 pm

Update to my crossbreed holsters.

I have found that with a very slight adjustment on my hip as well as the leather breaking in and conforming to my body shape, the little gap behind the holster between my pants and hip has basically disappeared. The holster is getting more comfortable as I wear it more and more.
BrianB

Postby St8Shooter » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:01 am

Thanks for this brian. I have been looking at them and plan on getting a few. any wear maks on the weapons from the holster? lol I'd Like to carry my Kimber more but it's so pretty I don't want to scratch it up!!! I use there OWB holster for my FN 45 and Colt defender and love them.

Oh also, how do you find this holster for when you sit down or in a car?
St8Shooter

Postby BrianB » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:37 am

I have not seen any kind of wear mark but I could not say that it could not happen, so far though, nothing.

As to getting in and out of a car, well, depends on the vehicle. My truck is no problem, I can get in and out of it fine. My civic though, that can be a problem. I believe that has to do with a couple things, one being that its really low and have to really bend down to get in, plus the fact that my wife drives it alot and is alot shorter than me, the seat is usually way up to the front. So I am trying to get in and move the seat back but what happens is the rear of the gun handle will catch on the seat before I can get squashed in. When its back all the way then its not nearly as hard if I am a little careful. I think a person could do some things with the cant that could probably help, I just have not decided to try that.
BrianB

Postby St8Shooter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks Brian. I'll let you know when I get one!
St8Shooter

Postby Mulenson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:49 pm

I have a crossbreed supertuck for my XDm 3.8, 9mm. It is comfortable!!! Have noticed wear on the front part of my slide. I love it though and would, will purchase another.
Mulenson

Return to Concealed Carry