>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

best .380 for ccw and/or backup??

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Postby Shep86 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:12 pm

If you are looking for an inexpensive(not cheap),compact, reliable .380 i believe the Kel-Tec p3at is a perfect fit. Have had one for about 4 months now and love it!
Shep86

Postby ke7zem » Sun May 22, 2011 1:41 pm

to justben: if your considering guns real or not by thier caliber than you don't have a real gun. 9mm? are you kidding? carry a .45 ACP, preferably a 1911if you want a so called "real gun" any decent side arm in any caliber is a good self defense weapons. If you ever have to use it in self defense as an absalute LAST resort, you pull a gun on someone, chances are they are going to run, they also will not know the caliber, and I'm pretty sure, most people do not like to get shot with any gun. It's a well known fact that the .45 ACP is the best round to stop or eliminate a human or large animal threat. the weight of the bullet and the speed provides the most knock down power without going through the target and hurting someone else. There are many theories and situations, and opinions. most of the articles in National Rifleman and other gun mag's have real self defense stories. Most of the time, one or 2 shots are fired from a .22 revolver to a shotgun and the criminal or criminals, either Run, Die, or have to go to the hospital. either way, the threat to you and yours is over.
ke7zem

Postby robalan » Sun May 22, 2011 3:51 pm

robalan

Postby MightyFoFaad » Sun May 22, 2011 6:16 pm

@ ke7zem ... oooh boy, you are suffering from several misconceptions that could get you killed. (1) you pulling a gun on someone & them running off because they're afraid of you, presupposes THEY haven't already pulled a gun you. (2) your pulling out your gun in that scenario, is more probably going to cause that individual to FIRE, as opposed to running away.

Your entire comments seem to be based on only YOU having a gun. If you have a .22 in your hands, and you fire off 2 shots first, and, the perp dies 15 minutes later ... this will give you very little satisfaction if the perp bashes your head in with a baseball bat, or fires off 2 shots from his gun into your heart, BEFORE he collapses.

You gotta get it out of your head that in a time of crisis, you are going to be the only one with a gun, and/or you are likely to run into a candy ass who will just run off at the site of your gun. And, if you're smart, you'll have a gun with knock down (stopping) power, not just one that will make ineffective holes in someone. Just saying.
MightyFoFaad

Postby JustBen » Sun May 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Real Gun IMHO = Compact Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P etc... You have plenty of ammo, quick reload capability, acurate, powerful, reliable, simple, on and on.

45's are a great caliber, but not enough rounds for me in a concealed carry weapon.

If I get into a fight, I want to win regardless of whether it is a scenario out of a magazine, with the statistics, or something completely unexpected. I carry 44 rounds of .40 and 5 rounds of .357 all the time.
JustBen

Postby ke7zem » Mon May 23, 2011 12:14 am

to mightyfofaad? appreciate the come back, and I have 3 different calibers I carry at any given time. I can hold 10 +1 in my .45, 15+1 in my .40 cal Glock, and 13+1 in my .380. I'm not saying skimp and carry a 5 round 38 revolver. here is what i am saying, Any Gun is better than none, and, if someone already has the drop on you, your gun will do you no good. you can't out draw a gun when there is one in your face. self defense is not about anger, revenge, or absalutely killing someone EVERY time. The best method is to be alert, like I said, your brain is the best safety you can have. I FULLY believe in and SUPPORT our second amendment right, I believe everyone with a great responsibility to carry a fire arm owes to themselves, their families, and other innocent citizens. It's always better to avoid a car accident, even if it would not be your fault right? It's better to avoid a gun fight just the same. once you pull that firearm, your life will change forever, or come to an end
ke7zem

Postby ke7zem » Mon May 23, 2011 12:19 am

to just ben. yes, being over prepared is better than being under prepared, I suggest that you guys read some combat and self defence magazines like the Rifleman and combat handguns.

Also watch a self defence DVD series from the NRA. With some of the atitudes I hear on this forum, you could end up going to jail defending yourself.
ke7zem

Postby JustBen » Mon May 23, 2011 12:46 pm

ke7zem: Don't worry about me bud. I shoot with some of those guys that are featured in those magazines you suggested. BTW there is a lot more to it than what you read. Those articles only have small pieces of the whole picture. I personally recommend going and getting extensive training first hand at one of the top self defense schools in the country. TDI in Ohio is a good one. Not sure of any in your area.
JustBen

Previous

Return to Concealed Carry