>
Board Index Serious Shooters Hunting

Non-hunting girlfriend

Share stories of all things hunting: Deer, Fowl, Turkey, Big Game, or discuss recipes, sporting dogs, or bow hunting.

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:07 pm

Good job Kyle!! That's an excellent first step and it went as well as one could hope for. Don't push, encourage and I think it will work out well for both of you. Carry on young man! Go forth and conquer....
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby kyle44mag » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:50 pm

I think what got to her more than anything else it when I finally convinced her that I too was a nature lover. That I hate to see destruction of animal habitat even more than she did. That I love that there are still some places left in america that are still wild. And once she understood that we were on the same page in that respect, she softened to the idea of hunting.

Thank you,

Kyle
kyle44mag

Postby g4l » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:43 am

Glad to see Your making progress Kyle, taking Her to the range is the first step in reducing the "unknown fear" to Her about guns and will open the door to enjoying firearms. Since most People are taught guns are bad and see the media portray them that way We have to open Peoples eyes by teaching them how much fun and useful they are when handled safely.

Although My Girlfriend has no big interest in guns She really had fun at the range the few times She went, it's pretty cool seeing Her get excited hitting the target.
g4l

Postby g4l » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:07 am

My fiance has never been hunting either. I'm taking her squirril hunting thing fall (let her use that Buck Mark, if she can't get them with that I'm got my trusty 597 Remmy)!

Then we'll try deer hunting. She hasn't shot my 7mm mag Savage yet, so we'll see how that goes. LOL!!! I've got my trusty mini 14, (GO Ruger!) and I think she will be able to shot that a little better.

We'll DEFINATELY have to take a few trips to the range before I sit in a blind for several hours, patiently waiting. Fortately white tail are plentiful here, so the wait should be long.

But I'm starting small and working my whay up. Now I need to get her an 870 to duck hunt with me...
g4l

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:11 pm

Ha, ha!! 240, you're going to chase her away with that 7mm Magnum. My God, that'll tear her shoulder into two throbbing parts! I agree with the Buckmark and the .223 until she gets very used to it. You have to let her learn to like it instead of being afraid of it. Better to encourage her with successful trips to the range and woods, instead of fearing the vicious recoil of that 7mm Mag! Not to mention the 870! You have to treat them gently, get them to like it first and then when they ask you to shoot your "bigger" rifles, you start them with lower powered loads and work up. This method will get your partner interested instead of not interested! Just my 2 cents...

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:16 pm

tigwelder56,

She loves to shoot my CZ 75 and love plinking with my .22 Rugers (got three...I love Ruger)! She also digs the 597 Remmy...so I've got her interested, we'll just have to bruse up that shoulder a bit...get her to drop a deer, and I think I'll have a new hunting partner :)

But yeah, your right...we'll go out into the woods (I live in BFE Alabama - wood right across the road from my house). And do so shooting...brake her in. I think the mini 14 would be the best the start out with. She's comfortable shooting the 597, so we'll see.

I'll keep you all posted as to what happen. May be funny ;)

I think she do alright with some practice!

tigwelder56

Postby gungirlLV » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:53 pm

As a former non gun person. I would say, take her to a gun range first, somewhere outside...inside is way too loud. Let her enjoy the outdoors and the time she can spend time with you just enjoying your sport of choice. I wouldn't suggest making her a witness to the killing of a cute bear her first time out...not just yet :)

Best of luck!

....opps, just saw your latest post, I'm glad she liked it! If she doesn't ever want to go hunting with you, at she'll won't mind you going with your friends....she'll have a better understanding. Have fun!
gungirlLV

Postby GOANRA » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:57 pm

When I met my wife, she thought 'Gun-Control' was a reasonable issue. Typical schoolteacher.

In a very short time, she became a gun nut and loves the range. Now she has her CC and doesn't go anywhere without being armed. Even when I'm with her, she walks with her sidearm handy in parking lots & such.

I created a Monster. LOL

She will never be a hunter, but doesn't mind me going so it's all good.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Previous

Return to Hunting