>
Board Index Serious Shooters Hunting

Fair chase

Share stories of all things hunting: Deer, Fowl, Turkey, Big Game, or discuss recipes, sporting dogs, or bow hunting.

Fair chase

Postby kyle44mag » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:00 pm

I've seen a lot of hunting shows adress this and I wanted to get your guy's take on it. How much technology is too much? In my book any technology that helps you put the animal down quickly and humanely is OK with me. Such as the lateest in guns ammo and optics, but beyond that hunting should be a very low tech sport.

Heres the things I don't like:

trail cameras

Hearing enhancers

any motor vehical, used for anything except bringing taken game back to the lodge

scent reduction clothing

What do you guys think?

Thank you,

Kyle
kyle44mag

Postby kyle44mag » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:47 pm

I also don't like electronic decoys or calls. But what do you guys think?

Thank you,

Kyle
kyle44mag

Postby kyle44mag » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:03 pm

I also frown upon hunting over bait. Come on someone must have an opionion one way or another.
kyle44mag

Postby louismacote » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:48 am

Hunting over bait: yes, it is not "sportsman like", and no, it is not near as challenging as stalking. However, with the crappy economy, and enormous drugs injections in produce meats, I hunt deer and such primarily for food. That means killing as much food in as little time as possible. If I think hunting over bait will give me more food, that is what I will do. But I would much rather stalk if hunting for the pleasure.
louismacote

Postby beltbuckle » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:55 am

I have mixed feelings on the matter. For animals such as deer or the canadian goose, I say bait away! In many places these animals are way to plentifull and the population needs to be managed.

Hunting is a great way to manage the population.

I enjoy the stalk just as much as the next guy but here in Ohio we only have a 1 week gun season for deer and its nice to be able to go out in the evening and know exactly where the deer are going to be and at what time. I live on a farm and I dont bait per say but the corn and the alfalfa fields act like natural baiting!
beltbuckle

Postby kyle44mag » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:00 pm

I feel your pain about the length of gun deer season. And you described hunting over food plots which is fine with me. I just think its wrong to go into the woods with a barrel of corn, dump it, and set up in a tree stand 10 yards away. But baiting doesn't displease me as much as the other things I listed.

Thank you,

Kyle
kyle44mag

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:48 pm

No matter what you call it, its baiting none the less. Food plots just sound better! LOL Especially since the corn gets harvested just coming into deer season.

Hunting deer around a corn field is like stealing candy from a baby. It's easy, the candy still tastes good, but somthing just doesnt seem right about it.... LMAO

Guilty as charged though, one of my most common deer strategy's is hunting food plots. That and the nuisance permit! A definite favorite, Taking deer at 700 yards with an AR, or 30-06 depending........... And its all legal.

BTW, all animals taken be it a nuisance permit or from hunting are not let go to waste. I keep 1 or two for eating and the remainder of deer taken, go to other family or friends.
beltbuckle

Postby beltbuckle » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:40 am

This is a subject I have always had a problem with. Today Hunting seems more like taking out an Ad in a Newspaper and baiting them in, than the thrill of the hunt itself and its usage after. Baiting in any way I can only see if you are broke and starving. Otherwise its like shooting Fish in a Barrel, anyone can do it. It doesn't show any skill with a gun and that is what hunting is half about.

The Indians would always use just about everything but the Eyeballs of any amimal they killed, and I hate it when I see an Animal just rotting away in the Woods with a hole in its Head. That to me is only sick killing, not hunting if you know what I mean.

I believe that if its not going to be eaten, worn or used in some other sane legitimate way, leave it alone. It isn't shooting at you.

Now Humans, that's another story! lol
beltbuckle

Postby kyle44mag » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:16 pm

Paper go to the animal parts thread and tell us what you do with them.

Thank you, Kyle
kyle44mag

Postby grenicko » Sat May 02, 2009 12:53 pm

i feel that fair chase is the only way to go and that means (in my book ) spot and stalk i do not like to see bating and don,t and never will use that method i feed my family every year with wild game deer elk and bear and in the past 8 yrs. now i have gone to tradational muzzle loader and yes i do bag one of each every year i think that people that hunt over bait are just to lazy or unknowning to do otherwise
grenicko

Return to Hunting