>
Board Index Serious Shooters Hunting

Smoke Poles Anyone?

Share stories of all things hunting: Deer, Fowl, Turkey, Big Game, or discuss recipes, sporting dogs, or bow hunting.

Smoke Poles Anyone?

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:48 am

We don't hear anything from Black Powder shooters here. Why not? I've got a Thompson Center .50 Cal. Hawken that I used to shoot as often as possible, but have done more centerfire shooting over the last few years. I'd like to hear from those of you that swear by them and would really like to know more about the breech loaders. Please share your knowledge, I'd appreciate it!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:20 pm

My very 1st Gun, other than BB/Pellet, was a No Name Kit I bought a long time ago back in NY. It was a 45 cal. Single Shot with Ram, Cap and Ball Pistol. Since it was impossible to get a Permit when under 21, (if you could get one at all), they did allow you if you were over 18 to purchase a Black Powder kit or Gun and even Pre-Assembled Cap & Ball B.P. Revolvers, .32 cal I think?? They must have taken a little while to load!

They really didn't make it easy to assemble, a lot of changes had to be made just to get it to stay together. The Grips had to be Stained and Varnished as well. You had to Drill, Screw and Mount everything around a large Steel Pipe! I had fun with it for a while, then when I reached 21 I finally got a Permit and regular Gun.

But the 1st time I tried it though, it blew right through a Compost Pile in my Fathers Yard, then proceeded to blow about an 8 inch round Hole through the back Fence, finally being stopped by a Hill. I wish I still had that Gun. I Don't remember now whatever happenned to it? But it would be nice to take it out in the Everglades and play with it again! But Damn, What a Kick! My Shoulder would hurt the Day after each time I used it.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:29 pm

As you say, they take alot of work to get off a single shot! But it's alot of fun nonetheless. I haven't shot mine for ages, but I did put it in one of Brownells protective pouches before putting it away. Here in Florida, we have a terrible problem with humidity and it's merciless on steel. Regardless, they're a real joy to shoot.

tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:10 pm

Hi,

When my Foot gets Better, I think I will look around and see if I can find another type of B.P Pistol. I will say the one I had was very accurate, having a rifled Barrell. But that one is gone for good I guess, so I will look for another.

Tig, Did you ever get the Note I sent last night, 6/29, at about 5am? I sent it here and to you direct, unless you have changed addresses. It was regarding your question about location.

Bill

tigwelder56

Postby robalan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:06 pm

robalan

Return to Hunting