>
Board Index Serious Shooters Military & Police

Prison Gaurd

Discuss assualt and tactical techniques, law enforcement, militia, and other combat and security topics.

Prison Gaurd

Postby FryGuy011 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:19 am

Hi again would you by any chance know of anyone on this here site which is a prison gaurd or has done prison work? I am looking into becoming one, and if you do know of someone then may I please have their name on this here site.
FryGuy011

Re: Prison Gaurd

Postby GOANRA » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:53 pm

I have known many "Corrections Officers" over the years and a few have been close friends.

My State outlawed the "Guard" system in 1981 and along with 4 other States adopted the "Certified Officer" system.
Many States use the CO title, but continue to implement the "guard" system. (no college required, no 20 week academy, no firearm training, etc.) just 21 years old with a GED and go right to work.

The actual CO requirements are almost exactly the same as the Police Officer requirements, with college being mandatory. The pay in my area for a CO Sergeant in the mid '90s was about $22.50 per hour with endless Health/Dental/Optical benefits.

I don't have a clue what the pay is now... but I heard many are privitizing.

The Counties use COs in their jails, usually Deputies whom have been through the academy, but the pay & benefits are pathetic.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Return to Military & Police