>
Board Index Serious Shooters Competition

1911 style pistols are useless

Talk with others interested in local competitions or involved in IPSC, IDPA, or other competition shooting.

1911 style pistols are useless

Postby NCCCCWteacher » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:09 pm

Now that I have your attition, what is your favorite competition pistol and why? I like the Glock 24 because it is simple, cheep to shoot, qualifys me for "major" and I can hunt with it too.
NCCCCWteacher

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:31 pm

Those are fighting words mister!! That's sacrilege on this forum and could be punishable by a forced viewing of no less than 24 continuous hours of the TV program, The Brady Bunch!! It could be followed up by an equal amount of a women's shopping channel. So watch it Bud! You walking on thin ice...

Since when is a .40 SW cheap to shoot? Damn sure isn't any cheaper than a box of .45 acp! We'll talk soon!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby NCCCCWteacher » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:56 am

I figured it would grab attition! LOL!!!

40 S&W is $12.97 at (bows head) Wal Mart. I can only buy 6 boxes a day, but I have PLENTY of it. Buy gold, or ammo!!

9mm is $10.97. Being "retired" I have plenty of time during the day to go there every Tuesday and Thirsday when I am sure to find it there. Besides the locals in this town don't know what the 40 is, lol They still think the 300 Win mag is the fastest 30 cal round. (They are not too bright)
NCCCCWteacher

Postby Blackrifle » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:07 pm

You're lucky. My Walmart hasn't restocked their ammo case for months. Still have the same old crap, most of which people don't shoot. It's gettin a little better, but not much. I can find stuff online but it's still mighty damn expensive.

I like your remark on the 1911 pistol, it was an attention getter! It's one of the finest handguns ever made!
Blackrifle

Postby Blackrifle » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:46 pm

I wanted to make a comment about our most recent discussion. It seemed like the ammo shortage wasn't ever going to end. There were backordered items clear through next year! I didn't know what to make of it because it was obviously getting worse instead of better. People weren't helping the situation when they would buy the entire inventory (if allowed). I didn't think we'd see an end to it for a very long time. It seemed like the anti gun crowd was keeping their promise to take away whatever they could, any way they could do it. But what happened??? Have you noticed that overnight all of the ammo suppliers have everything in stock again? Yep! I ain't complaining but what happened all of a sudden? Ammunition that wasn't supposed to be available until Christmas has suddenly appeared. I don't get it. What happened?
Blackrifle

Postby NCCCCWteacher » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:01 am

I noticed it too. I saw 9mm laying around at the gun show saturday. It has gone back to $10 per 50 from Ga Arms. I think one thing is people started to realise that $30 for a box of 9mm was STUPID and $20 for 223 twenty count was just as crazy. Whats funny is there are a some guys stuck with ammo they baught a lot of hoping to profit from but the bottom has seemed to fall out of the market. I know a guy who baught twenty boxes of 380 blazer aluminum cased ammo for $17 each hoping to sell it for $25. Now the local gun shops are selling Winchester and remington for $14-18 a box. I am glad I never paid into the price gouging. Well, my 357 Sig ammo has allways been expencive. Best price localy I can find is $24 a box for FMJ. Hollowpoints seem to run about double for Gold Dots.
NCCCCWteacher

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:50 pm

you got me...... I just about wanted to shoot you for your topic! with a 1911, show you how useless LOL

I'll pick the 1911 myself, with some extended mags and a little custom tuning.

I like it because of the ergonomics, flexibility, fit, finish and feel. imo, nothing shoots quite like a 1911.

There is a reason only small changes have been made To Mr Browning's terrific design since its origination. Besides the pistol being widely copied itself, the operating system rose to become the pre-eminent type of the 20th century and of most modern pistols.
beltbuckle

Postby NCShootingSports » Tue May 17, 2011 12:20 pm

This topic struck me as a little odd, since disgracing a 1911 by calling it useless are fighting words in my neck of the woods.

Well it definitely got my attention, I started shooting IDPA and USPSA compitions with a Gen4 Glock G22, and even though I liked shooting it cause it was simple and very accruate, when I picked up my Springfield SS 1911, I fell in love and have been shooting in single stack and CDP classes ever since.

My Springfield is my USPSA pistol, it is re chambered to 40 S&W with a ed brown barrel and a Caspian slide, and a whole bunch of Wilson combat goodies, my IDPA pistol is a Taurus PT1911, all stock, with a little tweaking and I will say I have never had malfunction of any sort with it, she just runs.

Any one who thinks that a 1911 is useless, has never shot or competed with one, and you have no idea what you are missing.
NCShootingSports

Return to Competition