>
Board Index Serious Shooters Training

New gun at the range

Discuss and learn techniques properly to train, improve accuracy, and become an expert at handling a weapon.

Postby RVdriver » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:00 am

Thanks for the reply and a lot of what you says makes sense. The next time at the range I'll try to adjust the way i hold the gun and see what that does for my accuracy. I do put my trigger finger on the trigger right at the first joint. This is what feels natural to me with the small gun and my large hands. I'll see if I can fire the gun better with just the pad of my finger on the trigger.

What distance to you feel is the best to start with a new gun? I have been starting at 25' but maybe that is too far for my initial attempt.

The CW does have about the same trigger pull as the double action of my Sig 226. Of course the CW is DAO so it remain the same through the entire clip.

To get back to basics.......are you saying that with any new gun, you assume that the sights are correct and that any shots off target are caused by operator error that needs to be corrected rather than adjusting the factory sights? Thanks again
RVdriver

Postby JustBen » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:30 am

Most decent guns come with sights that are close or right on. I have had a few that needed a tweak, but the only way to tell is to use a large sandbag and a very experienced shooter at an indoor range. I would start with the assumption that the sights are correct from the factory.

If you go to www.tdiohio.com and click on "media" there are some good videos of how to grip your gun etc... Tactical Defense Institute is a great place to learn self defense with a hand gun.

Most combat situations are going to be around 12 feet or less, so speed of deployment plus accuracy is important. You can work on that once you have good control and accuracy.

Start at 10 feet with a slow trigger pull such that when it goes bang you were not even really moving your finger. Follow through so that you still have the trigger all the way back with the sights and target lined up in clear view after the shot. Move the target back 10 feet at a time all the way out to at least 50 feet. If you are truly lining up the sights and not jerking the gun during trigger press, you should be able to shoot in a 3 or 4 inch group at 50 feet. Not so easy to learn though. May take thousands of rounds and years of practice.

Also when gripping your gun, make sure the majority of the pressure holding the gun is with your off hand and your wrist is locked all the way down. Off hand thumb should be against the frame the same distance towards the muzzle as your trigger finger. They should match when looking downward on the slide. Strong hand should be relaxed but firm for a smooth trigger press. Both arms locked out straight, isoceles stance with shoulders and head forward.

Have some fun too.
JustBen

Postby RVdriver » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks for the thorough description on what I need to do. I'll probably hit the range on Wednesday and give your suggestions a try. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain things in a way I can understand. Can't wait to get to the range and run through a few hundred rounds.
RVdriver

Postby JustBen » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:06 am

You bet my friend. Best of luck to you and don't forget to check out the videos on www.tdiohio.com it is great stuff.
JustBen

Postby Gloc9mm » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:29 am

Ben, Thank's for your reply. When I practice Combat shooting I never aim though. I basically just point and shoot, and normally have a tight grouping center mass. In my opinion I just feel that if God forbid I ever need to, there will be no time to aim, so I practice not aiming. I don't know if I'm wrong or right, but hope to never find out.
Gloc9mm

Postby JustBen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Just as long as your eyes are open when you are "point shooting" I think you will be fine - LOL. I have seen some exhibition shooters point shoot. Don't know how they do it, but it sure is impressive.
JustBen

Previous

Return to Training