>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Accessories

Laser sights

Discuss holsters, grips, magazines, sights, scopes, night-vision, gun safes, and other gun gear.

Postby St8Shooter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:02 pm

I was giving a background as to how long I have been shooting prior to military service. If you discount becoming familiar with weapons through hunting then so be it. The lasers I employ are crimson trace. no thought to "turning" them on. As to depending on them at the very beginning I stated they were and I quote

"You are looking at it all wrong. It is a tool for you to use when needed. Nothing more. To get rid of it is like getting rid of different size box wrenches because you don't use them right now. I don't count on just the CT. I train with iron sights first and formost but there is something to be said to not have to stick your whole body around a corner to see a shot with iron sights in a tactical situation. I train for that holding weapons around objects and cover for that reason. You limit your options and increase your risk by not keeping them on the pistol. "
St8Shooter

Postby whitehood » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Again, I'll emphasize a point. This is not about hunting. Lets look at the threat to the average civilian. It's four fold. The first is carjacking. It doesn't happen often and car defense is an art to itself. Nevertheless when it happens it happens fast. The second is home invasion. It also is fast. Most perps know that most weapons are kept in bedrooms. The perps are multiple and know if they can secure a place within 30 seconds they're in like flint. Most occur in the during the day and rarely occur after 10PM. The third is the encounter while arriving home, almost always at night. These perps can be multiple as well and if so have firepower, most likely a shotgun. Again a fast scenario. Lastly is a burgulary with many occuring during the day. Daytime burglars don't want to stick around and many but not all are pros. Nighttime guys are dangerous and criminals of opportunity. They'll steal but they'll rape and kill if given the opportunity. Night time guys get the black flag. Only an idiot sticks around with this one, but if you're lucky you'll have a bit of time. This is the rarest of all common encounters. Unless you live in a liberal haven like NYC, a mugging is not going to happen often unless you're a woman.

The vast majorities of these scenarios last seconds and lasers aren't a part of the equation. It's all about muscle memory and getting rounds on target within seconds. You'll fight as you train. Laser inhibit proper training. My two cents.
whitehood

Previous

Return to Accessories