>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Gunsmithing

What is the best over all cleaning preserve of gun

Discuss cleaning or modification of your weapon in order to maintain or upgrade reliability and performance.

Postby cappaletti » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:23 am

BrianB...glad u liked it..while browsing around yesterday I also came across some more info on another gun site..several guys were talking about this..gun lubricant: 1 qt. Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil 15w50 + 1/2 qt. Mobile 1 synthetic ATF. According to some of the gunsmiths on that site this stuff is SUPER for all ur guns/knives, etc. Also works great on fishing reels! It never ceases to amaze me all the info out there in cyber-space! Anyhow, this ought to be worth trying (cost about 10-11 dols.).

hope this helps everyone.....Capp
cappaletti

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:49 pm

That's an excellent find Capp! I found a recipe for everything except a Solvent Latte, lol! That's definitely a keeper. I'm in complete agreement regarding the endless amount of information on the Web! I don't know how I lived without it, ha! Of course I used to actually get up out of this chair and do something before the Internet glued my butt to it!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby cappaletti » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:36 pm

Tig..glad u liked the site..and I can sure relate to the 'tail stuck to the chair' bit...
cappaletti

Postby SW-Insured » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Tig & Capp,

I know that Mobil 1 is an excellent detergent based synthetic oil. Have either of you had an opportunity to mix a formula of the products below as referenced in Capp's 11/26/10 post? If so, how does it compare to Eezox?

Gun lubricant: 1 qt. Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil 15w50 + 1/2 qt. Mobile 1 synthetic ATF.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

P.S. Is the above formula the "Winter" version? ...lol
SW-Insured

Postby cappaletti » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:42 pm

I haven't done any 'mixing' yet as I have supplies of Eezox, Break Free and Quick Release and various solvents too so I'll wait till I run out to give these others a try..as far as the Mobil 1 deal is concerned..from what I've read just go to a lower viscosity for extreme cold weather applications and vice versa...
cappaletti

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:20 pm

I haven't tried it either. I've got more than enough of everything to last longer than I probably will! If I could get my hands on a small sample, I'd try it, but another 1.5 quarts is out of the question right now! You let us know how your tests work out! Thanks alot!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby JustBen » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:19 am

What I know about synthetic oils, is that in cars you get better cold cranking performance. I believe these oils hold their viscosity better and may even bond to the metal surfaces more than mineral based oils while in storage, thus synthetics would be a good choice IMHO for guns.

Synthetics however do not last any longer in your car than mineral based oils (remember when Mobil 1 came out they started with 20,000 miles and slowly whent down to 5,000 in their advertising). Longevity in engine oil is determined more by the engine performance and how much blow by and other junk is in your crankcase than the actual oil. If you want longevity and superior anti wear protection, use a high detergency lower viscosity diesel engine oil in your car.

As far as ATF is concerned, it is not much different other than it has anti-foaming agents in it. Not sure where this would come in handy for guns though, and I am also not knowledgeable enough to say if the zinc levels in the additive package that Mobil 1 uses is adequate for anti corrosion of guns.

Worth a try if you want to do some testing, or go to your regional oil blending facility and buy the chemist lunch. That's my preferred method, especially if it is near a southern BBQ ribs place.
JustBen

Postby cappaletti » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:43 am

JustBen..great post..I always enjoy reading ur comments..a lotta knowledge there...
cappaletti

Postby JustBen » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:53 pm

You are all to kind Capp.
JustBen

Postby SW-Insured » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Tig & Capp,

I was advised two days ago that Midway USA has "discontinued" carrying Eezox Synthetic Gun Oil. Not out-of-stock -- "DISCONTINUED".

What's with that? Have either of you heard of any problems with the product?
SW-Insured

PreviousNext

Return to Gunsmithing