>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Gunsmithing

What is the best over all cleaning preserve of gun

Discuss cleaning or modification of your weapon in order to maintain or upgrade reliability and performance.

Postby GOANRA » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:36 pm

We have a Forum for 'Rocket Science' now ? LOL

I have nothing to contribute at this level, but will watch for the results.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby cappaletti » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:34 am

OK..so far so good..it's been a week now, the rain has stopped at least for the time being..I can see no difference at this point between Break Free, Eezox or Quick Release..that's all for now...
cappaletti

Postby BrianB » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Well that is certainly a result, how are the three of them looking compared to the starting point?
BrianB

Postby cappaletti » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:17 am

Everything looks exactly as it did the first day..no rust at all on any of the nails..think I'm gonna let 'em stay outside for 30 days and see what happens..will post results (10 day) on 8/27/10...
cappaletti

Postby BrianB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:03 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info cappaletti.
BrianB

Postby cappaletti » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:17 am

UPDATE!!! all 3 nails saturated in oil are doing fine..however..and

Tig u should be interested in this!..out of the 3 nails saturated in oil and then placed in hot salty water..Quick Release has failed that test..there's rust on the nail..Break Free and Eezox are doing fine so far..I checked everything this morning and that's what's happening with the test right now!....
cappaletti

Postby JustBen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:44 pm

"Rust on the Nail"

Do I sense the beginings of a new metaphore like "Frost on the Pumpkin". I will let eveyone else assign the meaning to it, since of course my mind does not work that way - LOL.
JustBen

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:21 pm

I've been keeping an eye on my little test as well and decided today to give it up. The untreated nail is totally covered with rust, which was expected. It only took one day for it to show signs of corrosion. The nail coated with Browning Gun Oil is now showing signs of flash rust, so I consider that a failing result. It took a week to see the first signs of failure. The Eezox nail is still clean and showing no signs of rust.

I'm anxious now to see how Capps test turns out. Ben, I've been thinking about your comment. After a moment of thought, I started humming your title "Rust on the Nail" to that old Marshall Tucker Band song "Fire on the Mountain". I think we're on to something! Keep humming that tune...
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby cappaletti » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 pm

10 day trial results: 3 nails coated with Break Free, Eezox and Quick Release..all 3 are the same..the 3 coated with oil and dipped in hot salty water Break Free and Eezox are fine but Quick Release has rust on it..another posting after 30 days!
cappaletti

Postby BrianB » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Very interesting. Thanks again for the information.
BrianB

PreviousNext

Return to Gunsmithing