>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Gunsmithing

?s about my Mosin Nagant 7.56 x54 barrel

Discuss cleaning or modification of your weapon in order to maintain or upgrade reliability and performance.

?s about my Mosin Nagant 7.56 x54 barrel

Postby jchigginsfan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:51 pm

I just recently bought a Mosin Nagant 7.56x54 bolt action rifle. Its a cool gun and i would like to use it for deer hunting. I cleaned the barrel, and the inside was FILTHY. After I cleaned all the powder residue out of the barrel I found copper buildup in it. Its not horribly bad, But its visible with a flashlight in the rifling. How can I get this out of there without having to modify the barrel. Can i use a course steal wool to run down through there to loosen the copper up? Or will that mess up the rifling. I know these guns aren't "top of the line" collectors, but I really like the gun and want to use it for a long time. Thanks.
jchigginsfan

Postby jchigginsfan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:50 am

After about 3 more hours of cleaning the inside of the barrel, I found that the "copper buildup" is actually pitting. It starts about an inch down in the muzzle and goes all the way down the rifled part the barrel. It looks like tiny pin holes. Can anything be done with pitting on the inside of the barrel? Or is it shot.
jchigginsfan

Return to Gunsmithing