>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Ammunition

what choke for slugs in shotgun

Discussions and arguments about caliber types, ballistics, ammo loads, handloading, and reloading.

what choke for slugs in shotgun

Postby tinle » Mon May 17, 2010 6:31 pm

what choke should I use for my win mod 120 winchoke 12 ga?

I also have a coach 12 ga -which barrel? left or right to shoot slugs out of?
tinle

Postby GOANRA » Tue May 18, 2010 1:47 pm

No choke needed for slugs.

My 24 in slug barrel, with rifle sights, has a 'cylinder bore' & is good for a 4 in group at 100 yards.

A rifled barrel would probably be much better at staying in the 4 in group, but the range would still max around 100 yards. I use a 1 oz slug at max, but prefer 7/8 oz.

I've always found buck shot fairly useless on bucks.

Never saw a slug fired through a coach gun.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby tinle » Wed May 19, 2010 9:52 am

thanks! Since it has a removable choke I'll take it out.
tinle

Postby arez_xd » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 am

Agreed on the cylinder bore. I use an improved cylinder tube if I'm going to hunt in a non-rifle state (love my .30-06), haven't gotten around to getting a straight slug barrel (even though I saw one at the local gun shop recently, used for a VERY good price).

It's illegal where I live to hunt deer with buckshot for that reason. We must use either slugs, or if memory isn't mistaken, .243 or higher (could be .223, but it's 5:33am as of right now and I've been up all night and had like 12 hours sleep in the last 4 days). HOWEVER, if it is legal in your area to use buckshot, I suggest either 3 inch magnum 00 buck or 000 buck, fired through a full or extra full choke at a distance of no greater than 50 yards.

I have some 3 1/2 inch 00 Buck for my super mag, but I've yet to be back where I can hunt deer with that round, looking at a trip this fall ;)

Anywhere up to 30 yards, they tend to drop in their tracks, out past 50 the pattern just doesn't hold as tight. Different guns do different things, I saw a Beretta shotgun take a squirrel out at somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 yards, but that gun was *right*.

Also, I'm not so sure about just taking the choke out and firing repeatedly without it. I'm no expert, but to me it sounds like a bad idea due to wear/erosion of the threads over an extended period of time, for all I know it could be completely safe and harmless or you could blow the threads out of it and have to replace the barrel, in which case it would probably be cheaper to buy a slug barrel for the gun in the first place, or an old H&R single shot and have fun shooting it and trying to figure out where that slug is going to hit consistently (because that's kinda fun in itself) and if you shoot the choke out of, what the hell have you lost anyway if you buy it for that specific purpose?
arez_xd

Postby GOANRA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:15 pm

My slug bbl with rifle sights is Cyl Bore, but I've taken many deer with an IC bbl and bead sights with a 7/8 oz sabot slug.

I shot a barn once with '0' Buckshot from about 40 yards with cyl bore bbl.

After seeing the pattern, I decided to NEVER use it for deer.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby arez_xd » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:23 pm

When shooting 00 buck you need to use a choke that will hold a tighter pattern. Try it again with a full, extra full, or turkey choke and look at the difference in the pattern spread
arez_xd

Return to Ammunition