>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Ammunition

357 mag ammo

Discussions and arguments about caliber types, ballistics, ammo loads, handloading, and reloading.

357 mag ammo

Postby technoid » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:54 pm

I am a new gun owner. This is my first hand gun. Its a GP-100 stainless steel 6 shot 357mag/38 special. I have been finding out that 357 mag ammo is hard to get. None of my local shops seem to have any. I have been using 38 special target loads. One shop told me that 357 ammo is trouble some. Mis-fires and uneven grains. Why? I like this gun but I would rather fire the larger rounds. Has anyone else been told this?
technoid

Postby whitehood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:41 pm

Zero problem with finding 357 ammo. The round is still what the others are judged by in the self defense role. If you want to shoot a lot, buy in bulk and buy online from places like ammo to go or cheaper than dirt. BTW the Ruger is a nice weapon for the price.
whitehood

Postby Mik3e » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:11 am

There is less demand for 357 so less is stocked, but it is available. As suggested, online is usually best for bulk purchases. Shipping is based on value and adds 3 to 4 cents per round. And, for me it has been reliable ammo, no mis-fires.
Mik3e

Postby ulgydog56 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:08 pm

who ever told you that 357 rds misfires and uneven grain is a moron ..did i spell that right ,maybe i,m the moron..unless they got a crappy lot from a cheap manufacture.........
ulgydog56

Postby ulgydog56 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:09 pm

t
ulgydog56

Postby pastorfarley » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Because magnum primers are a little harder to ignite than standard ones, I would think it could have been bad firearms with light strikes rather than bad ammo, unless it was low quality or improperly stored, hmm... how is that shop's ammo turnover and is the ammo kept in a cool dry place? or was he out of 357 and trying to sell you some 38?
pastorfarley

Postby judgeparker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:13 pm

Technoid You can not always believe the stuff that you hear at gun shops . Some of the guys know what their talking about and some don't. They probably just wanted to sell you what they had and obviously it was not 357 Magnum.Here in Arkansas I can pick up 357's at the local big box store's. But I have not bought any in years. I've been reloading 38's and 357's since 1978 (dang I'm old). Magnum primers are not usually harder but they are hotter to make the powder burn faster. Now I do know that different brands of primers are harder than other's Example Federal primers are the softest and CCI seem to be the hardest. Just remember after shooting 38's if they are made of lead and not jacketed you need to throughly brush out the cylinder's if you don't lead will build up in the chambers and you might not be able to get 357's all the way in. I love Rugers you made a wise choice in your purchase. Be safe and have fun.
judgeparker

Postby Roadhouse » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:06 pm

A couple of things relating to this post. I recently bought a new 686 plus. A beautiful gun in every respect. For a little less deflection on a full trigger pull and because I have a bit of arthritus in my right hand in the winter I backed off the trigger tension adjuster 1 full turn. Much lighter trigger pull. I went to the range and fired a hundred Remington 38 specials and 50 Monarch 357 magnum 158 grain hollowpoints with no problem. Next time I went on the fourth Monarch Magnum round the hammer struck but the round did not fire. The next time the hammer struck the round it went off as did the rest of the box of 50. I just increased the tensioner one half turn and will go from here. I suspect I may have lightened the trigger to much. Academy Sporting Goods has the Monarchs for $20 for a box of 50. At this price theres no reason to shoot the 38's for economy when for a few bucks more I can shoot the full power loads which are a lot more fun and shoot pretty damned accurately in this gun. Saving the brass for when I get reloading equipment.
Roadhouse

Postby technoid » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:22 pm

Ok Guys thanks for all the replys. If you notice the date of my post. I got my answer back in Dec of 2010. I bought 357 ammo online for only 35 cents a round. But you had to buy 1,000 rounds. Luckygunner.com
technoid

Return to Ammunition