>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Ammunition

Discount Ammo Bargains!!!

Discussions and arguments about caliber types, ballistics, ammo loads, handloading, and reloading.

Discount Ammo Bargains!!!

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:33 pm

Hey folks, I got a line on some very good ammo prices. You need to check it out now I don't know how long it's going to last http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/pg10243
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby MustangLX » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:59 am

Thanks, tig. I saved the link.

This leads me to a question I logged on to ask, so I may as well ask it here.

I recently ran across some good ammo prices at a gun show from Georgia Arms. The .44 I bought is labeled as "Cowboy Loads" and is supposedly 200 grain.

However, after shooting a few, they don't seem to have the sound nor the punch of name brand 180 grain.

Could they be fudging on the numbers or maybe the primer is different?

I didn't have any problems, but felt the rounds weren't what the label claimed.
MustangLX

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Cowboy loads are loaded very weak. True cowboy loads are actually powered by black powder charges, not the smokeless propellants used in standard ammunition. It can only be loaded with plain lead bullets, no jacketed or copper washing slugs are allowed. If memory serves me they must be flat nosed bullets. Black powder is very dirty and corrosive, so make sure you clean your revolver thoroughly. So you've got some under powered, dirty, corrosive rounds and they're only for target shooting. They use these loads for Cowboy shooting events. I think that about covers it. Here's some info I just dug up for you http://www.sportscomet.com/Hunting/183886.htm
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby MustangLX » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:30 pm

Well, now I know better. You nailed it. They are labeled as "round nose flat point" and are dark, definitely lead. At least I only fired about 30.

Thanks!
MustangLX

Return to Ammunition