>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Other Weapons

Question regarding Stun Guns???

Heavy stuff like machine guns and artillery, or less-lethal weapons such as bows, swords and knives.

Question regarding Stun Guns???

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon May 04, 2009 12:56 am

I'm going to address this to my law enforcement friends out there. I'm curious if you can tell me why the "Taser" products that we see most LEO's carrying are so different from the stun gun products routinely available on the market now. I mean that the Taser pistol, with a 15 foot range via wires and probes is equipped to deliver 50,000 volts. When I shop the Internet, I'm finding hand held units, small to large, pager size to batons and up to almost ONE MILLION volts!! Why do they need to deliver that kind of voltage? Will they stop a perp's heart?

I would really appreciate someone with the right knowledge to comment on this issue, please! There are some huge differences between the two and information is limited. Thanks for any information!

Tig
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:38 pm

Would one of our LEO's please address the original post? I know you guys/gals are busy but I'd really appreciate your comments and expertise on the subject. Thanx!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun May 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Do we have any LEO's left in our membership? Just curious. If anyone has knowledge of detailed information on this subject, I'd appreciate it if you could direct me to it's location. Thanks!

tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:11 am

Okay guys/gals, we've had 164 views of this topic and so far I'm the only one that has posted to the thread! Now 115 views tells me that there is some interest for this topic, so please post your knowledge or questions on it. I was really hoping we would get some input from our LEO members. They tend to have the best experience with this weapon and have the knowledge most of us lack regarding it's uses and dangers. Please share your experiences! Thanks.

I'm going to keep a running total until one of our LEO's out there bless us with their wisdom. That total is getting pretty big!! Come on people.... Step up, please!!!

tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:16 am

Tig, or would anyone know if in NY, are Stun Guns Legal to Carry?

I have an old Girlfriend on L. I. that has kept in touch since I moved here many Years ago that wants one, but I don't know about the Legalities? I would like to send her 1 as a B/D Present, but I don't know how that would effect my CCW here.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You, Bill

tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:15 am

Bill,

No, stun guns are not legal for personal carry in the state of New York. Here is a list of states that restrict their use and/or ownership:

States where all stun devices including TASER are illegal:

Hawaii

Illinios

Massachusetts

Michigan

New Jersey

New York

Rhode Island

Wisconsin

Cities where all stun devices including TASER are illegal:

Annapolis, MD

Baltimore, MD

Baltimore County, MD

Denison / Crawford County, IA (*According to Sheriff Tom Hogan*)

District Of Columbia

Philadelphia

Here is the list of states that currently allow use of them:

Stun Guns Laws / Restrictions (Legal Area)

Stun Guns are not considered firearms - they're legal to carry in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT*, DE, FL, GA, ID, IN**, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WY (including Puerto Rico and most of the Virgin Islands) without permits.

*Legal for home use, carrying prohibited.

**TASER subject to requirement of handgun license (35-47-8-4)

tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:10 am

Thank You Tig,

Well I guess that saves me a few Bucks on her B/D Present now! I think it's rediculous, cause she is always being hit on by other Men, Dogs etc. It would be good if she had something to defend herself with. But that's Knew Yawk for Ya!

Thanks Again, Bill

tigwelder56

Postby NCCCCWteacher » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:07 pm

Hey Tig,

In NC a stungun,lol or even pepper spray for that matter must be in "plain sight". SO beware that even though they may be ok to have somewhere they might have to be in "plain sight"
NCCCCWteacher

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:46 am

I know in Florida, it's legal for anyone to carry for purposes of self defense in a concealed manner:

a. A self defense chemical spray

b. A nonlethal stun gun or remote stun gun or other

nonlethal electric weapon.

One requirement I did find was a 2 ounce limitation on the chemical spray. I've got a few 2 ounce containers and that should be more than enough.

tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:16 am

Those that are smart, (And have a clean Record) should just go get a CCW Permit and Gun. The way things are going, I doubt things will get better before they get worse! Sprays and Stun Guns are just too iffy! I read last week they just came out with a 3 Shot Stun gun, better than 1 I guess! But @ $1700.00??

Bill

tigwelder56

Next

Return to Other Weapons