>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Ruger SR-556 Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Postby chrt396 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:22 am

I previously posted and complained about jamming on mine. I was very disillusioned. I can tell you one thing!! I hear how many AR's like to be "wet"! The Ruger does NOT require much in the way of oiling. A VERY thin touch of oil on the bolt and a quick swab down the barrel...DONE! I used bore butter on mine one time and THAT was the reason it was jamming. I read the instructions for the rifle after it jammed since guys never read the directions until something goes wrong...and it stated that over oiling will cause it to jam. I didn't think I over did it..but apparently I did. I have shot over 1000 rounds the past month and 1 failure to eject. I love my Ruger! I was burning the centers out this weekend with my Eotech and could NOT be happier!
chrt396

Postby St8Shooter » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:30 am

Glad to hear it. I never soak mine down. Just a thin wipe with an oil patch does all I need. The bolt carrier is chrome plated so it does not require much. I have been very happy with mine as it is a tack driver compared to anything I have ever shot from the Military. I have seen tighter groups but not from a AR platform such as this in a piston system. Mine never jams. I recently got some 40gr v-max fiocchi that scream. Dime groups at 100 yds. I need to stretch it with some gophers!!!

LOL save the bore butter for your black powder rifle!!!
St8Shooter

Postby St8Shooter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Well Its a bummer day!!!!! The buffer tube retaining pin broke and the bolt carrier destroyed the buffer tube. I sent it off to Ruger so we shall see how long it takes to repair... :-(
St8Shooter

Postby whitehood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm not going to say I told you so, but then again I did. Money here says the tube is not mil spec but a commerical one. If you've cracked the tube at the threads money also says that you've cracked the lower receiver and they'll have to replace that and that means essentially a new weapon. With a mil spec and standard impedence weapon it's a ten minute repair.
whitehood

Postby St8Shooter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:54 pm

It's a ten minute repair now. Just a matter of sending it in. hate not having that right now but It's a good test of ruger return policy. I have not heard of anyone on here having carrier tilt issue's. To be honest it looked like a shear in the retaining pin allowing the BCA to move down. Zero sign of wear prior to this. I have seen this problem in DI guns also so I can't say much at this point. But I am honest and wanted to be real posting the good and the bad as well.
St8Shooter

Postby whitehood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:11 pm

I bet that an unstaked castle nut was the problem in the first place. Second place goes to a cheap buffer tube or buffer. If it was properly staked in the first place it shouldn't have happened. Buffers should last the lifetime of the weapon, just like the bolt carrier. Something bothers me about the Ruger. What does the carrier key look like? I haven't looked inside one to know or even if it had a carrier key. I'm starting to think about an aluminum bolt carrier with an H3 buffer and a Fulton Armory adjustable gas tube instead of gas block in a lightweight.
whitehood

Postby St8Shooter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:32 am

from what I could see it looked as if the buffer tube is extended to hold the retaining pin in place. It wore down to the point where it no longer held and poof! The entire BCA is fine, just the pont at where the retaining pin is located is all the wear marks on the buffer tube... The buffer and spring are fine. Like I said it will be interesting to see what happens from Ruger. I have approx 3K rounds through it at this point.
St8Shooter

Postby whitehood » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:00 pm

That's really not a lot of rounds through a weapon you might have to trust your life with before a significant failure. I'm just saying. Even military bolt replacements occur at 7500 rounds. With a simple impulse weapon it's usually a quick fix. I really like to look at what Ruger has done with this weapon, especially with the gas block.
whitehood

Postby St8Shooter » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:40 pm

agreed
St8Shooter

Postby St8Shooter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:11 am

Well I have my Ruger back and They say it was from the Timney trigger. WTF????? I am going to call them Fri and get clarification on this. Almost all of the weapon was replaced including the BCG is different from what I had in that it is rounded in the back now. They took my trigger out and replaced it with a crap stock trigger. I like that It was no cost to me but I have questions. How will they not have the same problem as they are selling just uppers now? The fact that they did not charge me but said it was my fault for replacing with a precision trigger is interesting as I have never known Ruger not to charge if they claim it was your fault... The different style of BCG raises questions also. Interesting....
St8Shooter

PreviousNext

Return to Rifles