>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Springfield 1903 Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Springfield 1903 Reviews

Postby St8Shooter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:47 pm

Many varients to this weapon. Mine is from 1934. 95% but has the greenish USMC parkerized finish. been offered alot for it but can't seem to part with it. My great uncle brought this back with him so it has some extensive history(body count) on it for my family. shoots like a dream. I tend to only fire ball ammo through it. Took one deer on it for shits and giggles a few years ago. One shot one deer. even eith the iron site's(my eyes are getting older) it's very accurate. with excellent grouping. Yes it's heavy but that just reminds me of the trials my military breatheren had to deal with before I started serving. Oh how technology has made my life easier.
St8Shooter

Postby St8Shooter » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:09 am

Wow no takers on the venerable 1903?
St8Shooter

Postby VBShooter » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:39 pm

I got a M1903 Eddystone, It's been sporterized, customized and individualized, and while technology has made our lifes easier, they don't make them any better. I don't get to practice long shots much, however last weekend I shot a 2 MOA goup at 250 yds. It is an experience to shoot it!
VBShooter

Postby St8Shooter » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:18 pm

Nice! I used to have a Eddystone back in the day. good weapon. It took quite a beating from me. It had been re-blued prior to me getting it. They were made for england prior to the US joining the war.
St8Shooter

Postby Tinmancr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:43 am

I have one made from parts "not by me" it is very unreliable.

the rounds fly out of the magazine fail to load into chamber all kinds of fun stuff.

mine has very good williams peep sight but I don't care for peeps.

I want to replace all the parts with the good milled ones the stamped ones are junk.

I need a new stock too but that is an easy fix what a great design.

a beautiful functional and deadly weapon and the best all around cartridge of all time 100+ years.

probably have to bed the stock for those 300yd matches.

my rating is for design not the one I own or the many other bad versions made during and after wwII
Tinmancr

Postby bullgumbo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:33 am

I picked up a 1903 at a gun show 2 weeks ago. Has Lyman sight system. Took it out to the range, fired 150 gr american eagle at 100 yds. Had 3 rounds touching each other just off the bulls-eye. I love this gun. Picked up a K98k at same show. Shot 180 7mm mauser - it consistently shot about 4 in high, couldn't get the same grouping as the 1903.
bullgumbo

Postby bullgumbo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:35 am

For st8shooter, I'd be curious to know what other vintage rifles you've fired, particularly the Garand, and how they compare to the 1903.
bullgumbo

Postby St8Shooter » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi Bull.

Well to start there is the Eddy(heavier slightly but same action as the 1903. The US way of helping england prior to us getting into WWII officially) Good sturdy weapon. the Garand. Which I go back and forth about. I liked the weapon but I hate the loading system and nipping off skin from fingers if you are not careful closing it after loading is painful. Still a game changer and force multiplier for back in the day over the bolt action weapons of the time.

The Mosin Nagant, some love it. I personally hate it. I fired it in the German 8x57. The action is akward and sticks, not as accurate as the 30-.06 counterparts,(my personal opinion). There are two other chamberings in 7.62x53(finland) and 7.62x54(russian).

I honestly think the 1894 Winchester is a better weapon then all the above listed. in 30-30 or 32 winchester special it is lighter, and for the majority of fighting under 200 yards, far superior on the battle field.

The Tommy gun. Great weapon but the caliber in 45 is tame compared to the others listed. It did get used extensively though with good results in close in combat. Also very fun to shoot!

The M3 "grease gun". The same as the Tommy gun for me with less rounds. Also used 9mm or 45. It was still carried in tanks up until the late 80's. fun to shoot and will clear a room but dont expect it to do as much out past 100 yards.

That being said, I own all of them except the Mosin. I love shooting them all and depending on the situation would be comfortable defending myself with them. as with everything situation dictates which is better but all are great pieces of history. Hope that helps some!
St8Shooter

Postby whitehood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:52 am

Well you have a lot to choose from. SMLE, P17 Enfield, various Mausers including the 98 as well as the very nice Swedish versions. Then there is the Mosin as well as both versions of the Arisaka. Also the superb Mannlichers and the dismal Italian Carcano. We haven't even gotten to the French bolt weapons, just to name some of the more common.
whitehood

Postby YeOldeFool » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:47 am

The photo here is not a Springfield 1903.

It is a M1903-A3 aka 03-A3.

I added a Photo of the 03-A3 it is the one with the stripper clips.

The rear sight is on a 1903 is located on the reciever forward of the Magazine and is a Flip-up sight,

The sight is on a M1903-A3 is located on the reciever rear of the Magazine and is an Aperture sight.
YeOldeFool

Next

Return to Rifles