>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Ruger 10/22 Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Postby MR40CAL » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:30 pm

I've now put about 200 rds thru it and the trigger seems to break more predictably but the whole trigger assembly is loose in the stock. I got out the instructions(yes instructions) and figured out how to break it down. Gave it a quick inspection and a light spray of gun oil. Making sure I tightened down the take out screw...it was not very tight when I took it apart... I tried to wiggle the trigger assembly and it wiggled the same as before. I did notice the pins which hold the trigger to the action are not as tight as I would think and had to keep my fingers on them to put the gun back together. I really don't like the side to side play and was wondering if this was normal?
MR40CAL

Postby MR40CAL » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:40 pm

I've also just gotten the new BX-25 extended mag from ruger. It looks great has the steel lips like every factory mag and holds 25 rds thus BX-25. I'll let you know how it works.
MR40CAL

Postby Dharmabumz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Hey 40, Have you seen the trigger assy pins that Tony Kidd sells? To my memory you can search Tony Kidd on youtube and see how his pins work. Also I think on his website he has videos showing how to solve the pin looseness hassle.

But the 10/22 is soooo sweet to shoot. I also shoot an Anschutz match .22 and I still love shooting the 10/22 also.

I installed a Volquartsen trigger assy with good results.
Dharmabumz

Postby MR40CAL » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:30 pm

@Dharma yes i went to youtube after I got your post to check out the video and it seems very simple and well worth the money. Thanks for the info. Also wanted to let you guys know the BX-25 mag from Ruger is awesome. Good quality construction on par with the 10 rd mag. Feeds flawlessly as fast as you can pull the trigger. It also comes apart for cleaning and or repair. I really like that it is black and not clear. Though it would probably not double as a pistol grip due to side to side play, but I compared this to the 10 rd mag and it moves in the mag well also...understandably less due to less leverage. Awesome product costs the same as butler creek.
MR40CAL

Postby Dharmabumz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi 40cal, Yeah I felt the same when I saw Tony's video. I haven't tried the Ruger mag yet. I have the hotlips with steel lips and like it. I've been emptying out my safe and selling off unused stuff and getting some new toys. Got a Saiga 12 ga. to replace an old Remington 870 Police I had, and so on. So many guns, so little time:-):-)

Think I'll pick up one of those ruger mags and give it a whirl. I'm shooting through the NRA marksmanship levels on pistol, using my Ruger 22/45 and will start the rifle levels next week with the 10/22.

I put a 24x scope on mine so my weak eyes are now not so weak.
Dharmabumz

Postby Mack » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:06 am

I went as a spectator at a local rimfire match a few weeks ago and was impressed with how the 10-22's shot compared to the AR conversions. So I purchased a new 10-22 Tactical with the flash hider. I also added a Tru-Glo red dot and the BX-25 mag. My son and I have shot over 200 flawless rounds through it and are loving it. If I do my part I can keep the groups at the size of a nickel @ 40 yards. The trigger pull is a bit stiff right now but that should improve after the first 1000 rounds.

Excellent rifle for under $300
Mack

Postby Dharmabumz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:52 am

Yeah, the 10/22 in any configuration is just nice to shoot. I got the Target with the bull barrel and a double action trigger. I replaced the trigger with a volquartsen trigger which has a nice crisp break to it. I shoot mine at H&H or outdoors at Banner Road range and all my Rugers shoot in a user friendly way. For now I'm going through my NRA Pistol marksmanship levels using a 22/45. Next I'll go to rifle and even though I have an Anschutz, I think I'll just shoot the 10/22 for those. Hope you have as much fun with yours as the rest of us have had with ours.
Dharmabumz

Postby MR40CAL » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:11 pm

Hey Dharma I'm just starting out on my collection so not getting rid of anything yet. I did get a decelarator pad by pachmyr and just installed a truglo 30mm red dot on it. What a difference with the gun staying against my shoulder and the really fast acqusition with the optic. really staRTING TO love THIS RIFLE!
MR40CAL

Postby BILLHU » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:18 am

Had mine over one (1) year, fun gun to shoot, took about 500 rounds to get it settled in, just run a Bore Snake through it.

Last week went to range @ 50 yards , fourty (40) shots in less than 1" group, just one big hole in target.

Standard carbine with nine (9) power scope.
BILLHU

Postby markej4801 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:31 pm

I miss getting out to the range as often as I like!! I've been tied up with work and other things pulling at me. You guys sound like you're having a great time and it makes me jealous. ;)

MR40CAL and BillHu, you are both right in what you are doing. I had noted in an earlier post that there was a question about the loose pins holding the trigger guard in place. This doesn't seem to affect the rifle's accuracy at all, just makes it a bit hard to keep it all together when (dis)assembling.

One thing you might want to consider for the complete cleaning of the barrel is to bore a hole in the back of the receiver to allow a cleaning rod to be used breach to muzzle rather than the other way around. The boring is simple, but requires a bit of thought beforehand. It needs to be just a bit larger than the barrel bore (well reamed .25" will do) and since the receiver is aluminum, it's not hard to get it done. There are several YouTubes you can search out to help you with this. Your bore snake does a good job, but this method is easier, IMHO. Make sure you empty out all the parts before starting!!! ;)
markej4801

PreviousNext

Return to Rifles