>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Ruger 10/22 Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Postby markej4801 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:11 am

Oh, do I have good news for you! There are several combinations that you can use. I have heard great things about the Power Custom groups and they aren't terribly expensive. Also, Volquartson parts can be obtained readily for good prices. There's also the thought that you can buy the whole trigger group from Volquartson for a mere (?) $200+ :P Hold it! That's not cheap!!! The results, though, are amazing. There are others as well, so shop around and read the reviews.

The best part, if you go to YouTube and look up 10/22 vids for triggers, you will find several that will walk you through the process. It only takes a few minutes and is very satisfying to do. Not to denigrate your gunsmith (whose job it is to handle stuff you can't/shouldn't), but this is one of those wonderfully easy jobs.
markej4801

Postby Dharmabumz » Wed May 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Well now I just realized how lacking in info I am re "How to Make your 10/22 more accurate?"

Markej (or anyone lurking) (1) What should be my first, second etc priority? i.e. get a match type trigger first? (2) is there a good source for data I can read on this subject? I might save you guys a lot of hand-holding if I could do some homework on my own...then ask intelligent questions.

I'm lacking in basic knowledge like: Why is a Volquartsen trigger assy more accurate than my stock ruger? Why is this or that barrel better than my 10/22 target BB?

I hear lot's of ideas online that this or that brand is better but not why it's better. Make any sense?
Dharmabumz

Postby markej4801 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:21 am

OK, Dharmabumz,

First consider the gun you are claiming as your own. You state you bought the traget model. This gun is one that Ruger has set forth as being a TARGET quality weapon, with tighter specs than the average gun, thus coming at a higher price. It should already have a match quality trigger and a bull barrel which will preclude the need for tinkering. IF you have indeed purchased the target model, I'm not too sure I would mess with it. You can find out what the trigger breaks at and you will be best served using match quality ammo with it (while more expensive, its tolerances will better match the breech).

All that being said, here are some things to consider:

1) The standard Ruger trigger is an OK trigger, but tends to have a heavy pull and resets just a bit funny compared to one that has been accurized. If your trigger breaks at more than 4-5 pounds, you might want to consider a trigger job. You can have a gunsmith work on the parts you have, but I believe you will find it extremely satisfying to replace the parts yourself and save LOTS of money. Power Custom, Tactical Innovations and Volquartsen are names I have seen bandied about as being the best. For my two 10/22's, I first purchased the drop-in trigger group (TG2000 if memory serves) from Volquartsen and used that in the one I placed in the pictures on this site (#7--it's a bit stretched, but you get the picture). For the other, an International model, I obtained the Volquartsen parts and installed them in the original group with similar results. The effect of this particular job is to make firing the weapon more consistent. This will assist in accuracy, but is not the only thing to be considered. IMHO, it should be the first.

Next, since you already have a targer barrel (a .920 bull barrel, heavier and more exacting, match grade tolerances), your only reason to change this would be esthetics. There are multiple barrels available from multiple sources for your consideration which can make the gun lighter (a nice feature if you carry it for very long) and prettier (noce again, this part has little to do with accuracy. :) ).

The third thing to consider, if you are seeking increased accuracy, is to have the face of the bolt resurfaced by an experienced 'smith. This is not a job for the inexperienced since it directly affects the firing of the weapon!!! While having that done, you can also have the bolt jeweled, install titanium firing pin and extractor and anything else you might want to consider for the bolt.

Fourth, get and use a good scope. We are talking distances that the human eye is not able to visualize small targets, specifically 100 yards and beyond. If you are not shooting those distances, all this work is moot.

Replacement of the stock is a matter of taste. There are so many to consider that I would not even attempt to know what you might like, so shop around and see if you even want to change what you already have. ;)

How much money will all this take, you might ask,? Once again, it depends on the parts purchased. If you are SERIOULY asking this, consider that this is a HOBBY for most of us and spending the money is part of the joy. This is as much a part of personal satisfaction as it is making the better weapon.

Lots for you to think about in your search. Enjoy the journey.
markej4801

Postby Dharmabumz » Sun May 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks Markej; This gives me a sense of direction. You are right, the 10/22 Target is already fairly accurate. I tried some simple Federal match yesterday, and got noticeably better results at the indoor range. (Too much rain for outdoors)

BTW, I ran 50 rds through the hot lips I bought (steel lips) and had no mishaps. It fed fine for me. With the match ammo I got,(all they had in stock was Federal) my groups were noticeably tighter. The last few groups (10 to a group) were just a tad over 50 cents...but this was only 30 yds. I'll work at 50 yds (outdoors) until I get a decent grop, then maybe go on out to 100 yds ust to see if I can do any good.

One more question, for now. Does a two stage trigger make that much difference in your experience?

Gotta run...Gun Show to go to.
Dharmabumz

Postby markej4801 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:40 pm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/trigger_pull.htm

is a good discussion on single, double and set triggers. I can see the values of the extras involved, but not sure this would make sense on a gun such as this.

I went to the Tulsa Gun Show in April with my brother and sis-in-law who live up close to Grove, OK. That thing is freaking huge!!! I still like the ones down here, especially the Ft. Worth show. Large enough to have loads of options, small enough to cover in 4 hours or so. The Wanenmacher, though, does have lots you won't see anywhere else, so it's fun to go. Picked up a nice powder horn for my black powder kit gun that I have yet to build, as well as a Sig Sauer vertical grip for my CX4 Storm. The thing I was most glad for, though, was the Tactical Innovations charging handle for my custom 10/22. Finalized the project and looks great.

On a side note, I did go to the range last Thursday and wasted a whole bunch of .22LR through my custom 10/22, my Beretta Neos and Bobcat. Used the sub-sonic Remington I had gotten at Cabela's and found it NOT to be all that quiet. Fed just fine through the 10/22 and did fairly well with the Neos, but my Bobcat HATED it. Not a big surprise since the Bob is a blowback only extraction, no extractor hook. On the whole, though, had a good time shooting up several hundred rounds of ammo and spent only a few bucks doing it. :) The guys in the next lane, though, were touching off some serious shit: .44Mags and such. Hunting guns. Hmmm...
markej4801

Postby Dharmabumz » Sun May 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeah, Wannamacher is a fun gig. They guesstimate that at 15 seconds per table you could maybe get through all of it in a day. Wife's European so I took her to it when we came to Tulsa to live. She had never seen anything like it in europe.

I'll probably go up to the one in Tulsa in November. I'd like to come down to big-D or Ft Worth to a show, but probably have to wait until gas goes down.I'll swing over to the website you mentioned to get some education into my hard head.

I've got a gut feeling I'll go with the Volquartsen trigger assy., but still won't hurt to get more knowledge about triggers.
Dharmabumz

Postby zippoman1950 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:45 pm

Good luck with the Ruger, I'm considering a Timney trigger set for mine. Anyone have any comments on them?
zippoman1950

Postby St8Shooter » Tue May 24, 2011 11:10 pm

If you go with the Timney(love them in my AR platform rifles) go with the complete drop in not the small trigger drop in. I had many problems with it and sent it back to them 4 times. Finally they gave me a new upgrade to the complete drop in and it works great after break in. The original yellow one would not reset most of the time and bump fire 3-4 round bursts at infrequent times. very frustrationg and unusual for them. The service shop person(t-bone) kept acting like it was my fault and was frustrating but The customer service person fixed it after I asked for my money back to buy a Volquertson.

Had it shooting on Fri and it cycled 200 rds flawlessly. Spend the extra 20 dollars and get the new model from them!
St8Shooter

Postby zippoman1950 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:58 am

Thanks, yes the drop in complete trigger set was my thinking as I didn't really want to get involved in small parts like that. Again thanks for the advice. I love my Choate pistol grip stock I put on it, being unable to pronate my right hand after an accident keeps me from shooting any rifle or shotgun with any accuracy or ease, so anything I purchase now has to be of the "sporting rifle" style. Before the accident I knew the Ruger had a heavy pull but until I changed stocks it didn't occure to me how heavy it really was.
zippoman1950

Postby perez212 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:12 am

Just bought a 10/22 with a TAPCO M-4 stock it looks and fired awesome; no bad for under $300 (NIB). I installed a TRUGLO red-dots scope for affect. Look Sharp
perez212

PreviousNext

Return to Rifles