>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Postby yee-man » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:59 am

im lookin at purchasing a .223 rifle. thinkin bout the mini-14. any advice on a specific mini model? any input would be awesome
yee-man

Postby buddurbiin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:09 pm

I bought the "tactical" model that came with the 20rd mag and flash hider a few months back, and immediately took it to the range and put 120 rds of the "5.56 paramilitary" winchester through it. I fell in love! The first thing I noticed was that it had minimal recoil, even though it threw the brass about 20 feet. The accuracy at 50yds was a bit disappointing right out of the box. Shortly after that I put the ATI strikeforce stock on there and bought a laser bore sight that goes directly in the chamber instead of those that you stick in the end of the barrel, and noticed that factory settings for the rear sight were about (at an estimated 100 feet) 6 inches to the left and at least the same low. Took me about 15 minutes to zero in perfect alignment, and now I can hit shotshells on the same 50yd range with ease. Haven't had the chance to test accuracy at long range with my new 3-9x scope just yet, but I am more confident already. My Mini doesn't care if I use cheap steel cased .223 or military grade 5.56, it goes bang and chambers the next round EVERY TIME. I suggest you stay clear of the 30rd polymer magazines though, unless you leave one round out. With the leading round on the left, the poly magazine tends to release the first round while putting the mag in the gun, which would really mess you up if you were in a battle situation. Another thing I love about this gun is that the front sight sits directly on the barrel, rather than sticking 2-3 inches higher as with the AR-15
buddurbiin

Postby IndependentRealist » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:03 pm

I own the Deluxe limited mini-14 and could not be happier with the rifle. It resemblies its big brother the actual M-14 of days past. I like the 30rd mag for speciality shooting however I have purchased a couple twenties for all around use.These rifles are reliable and the Garand action fits my personality.I would recommend this gun.
IndependentRealist

Postby lindrith » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:13 pm

I bought my mini 14 about 5 years ago. Got it in the stainless version, flash hider, with an attachable scope mount. I paid $430 back then. Shoots straight. It's original wood furniture is sweet. Hooooahhhhhhhh!
lindrith

Postby John_Doe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:42 pm

I Own the all weather version which is stainless and has black synthetic black stock and forearm . Wouldn't take anything for it. Very well made. Fun to shoot. Very reliable. Couldn't ask for more. Perfect for its intended purpose! It really slings the brass!
John_Doe

Postby bigbob47 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:10 pm

I bought a all weather version with a flash surpressor in blue about two months ago. With all the cold weather and snow I didn't get to shoot it until today. I put a cheap 3x9 scope on it and went to the range. I was very impressed with it and I agree, it was fun to shoot. I put 200 rounds through it and stopped because I was out of ammo. I was shooting at 100 yards at a bullseye target and I did a lot better than I ever dreamed I could. You guys are right, it dones really throw that brass.
bigbob47

Postby taylorcraftbc65 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:45 pm

I have a Bicentenial model blued Mini 14 that I dearly love. over the years she has been one shot deadly out to 200 yards has NEVER jammed, something I only WISH I could say about the M-16 that I carried in the Army after they PRIED my M-14 A-1 out of my hands. This rifle has NEVER missed a lick, and there are uncountable coyotes that it sent to the great beyond, I will not own another centerfire autoloader.
taylorcraftbc65

Postby festivagt » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:41 am

I love my mini 14. I purchased it USED and it has been one of the better rifles I own. Feeds Everything and gives me no complaints. I would buy another.
festivagt

Postby RudeDog » Fri May 28, 2010 12:51 am

I like what I've seen so far. I'm hoping to get one for christmas.
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys
RudeDog

Postby APCMatt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:54 pm

found a shop with 2 minis and i want to buy one! both are stainless with syn. stocks without rubber butt pads. are there any clues just by looking at the gun, that would tell me that it is a ranch rifle or a newer model, with improved accuracy...? any help would be awesome, as i am seriously drooling for a semi auto 5.56/.223!!! Thanks guys
APCMatt

PreviousNext

Return to Rifles