>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

SKS Carbine (multiple variants) Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Postby BeanerBuster1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Contacted Impact Guns about this SKS listing and was told that they have no SKS's in stock and are not associated with Gun directory.
BeanerBuster1

Postby outlaw54 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Check your email Beaner, I never saw the 6/30 post
outlaw54

Postby BudWoods » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:45 pm

Back in the mid-1990's, these were flooding the gun stores. In NH, for instance, they were available form $110-140 depending... I bought one, fixed it so it could use detachable banana magazines and bought 1000 rounds of non-corrosive fmj ammo to play with it. Then, another sotre had one with gobs of accessories that looked unfired so I bought another one. I put a cheap scope on that one. They have occasioanl jams especially when you stuff the mags to the max; they run better if you load them 2 short of max.??? As for accuracy, they are shooters and shots more than 200 yds away unless bench rested would be iffy. The 7.62 x 39 has a SP loading as well as the common fmj, but it is not quite enough for deer - use it for woodchucks & rabbits... Beware when you buy 7.62 x 39 ammo because a lot of it is corrosive. You can shoot a lot of cheap ammo with this guy in a hurry but despite its heritage, it's a fun gun unless the crappola really hits the fan.
BudWoods

Postby whitehood » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:42 am

I'll agree with you Bud.

In the past the SKS's that came in were of good quality. Now you just don't know and in my opinion anything for an SKS over a 150 bucks walking out the door is way too much. I bought a couple of them for "trading purposes." If the crap ever hit the fan they be worth something to someone who needed a rifle real quick and was willing to trade for something I needed.

Here's the problem with the SKS. You can do a lot with them and spend quite a bit of money but WHY? There are parts available except for what is critical and what needs to be replaced. You will not find hammers, trigger assemblies or disconnectors parts at all and bolt parts are very hard to come by and are usually from cannabilized weapons. Further the parts may not fit without gun smithing. The entire trigger assembly was not meant to be repaired but thrown away and replaced with a spare. If people think they're getting an AK on the cheap they're not. The SKS in all forms is a throw away weapon. Never customize it. You can get it fixed but it will cost you as much or more than the weapon is worth.
whitehood

Postby BeanerBuster1 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Well, another opinion given...But, you know how opinions are.

I've had many SKS's and never had any parts "break". I found them to be more accurate for long distance than MOST, but not all AK's. I have an AK I bought from someone on this website that was missing the axis pivot spring and without it

it will fire about 3 rounds before the hammer spring moves over and jams the trigger release. Thanks, you know who you are.....

But they were made for different purposes. One is to spray alot of lead at relatively short distances; the other for longer kills.

If you have ANY SKS's you don't want, just send them to me! LMAO!!
BeanerBuster1

Postby whitehood » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Sorry Beaner what I said about the SKS is not an opinion, it's fact and there is a difference. Just try to find parts like the trigger group. They're listed but just not available and if you can find one ( I can't ) the list price is 90 bucks and you can't be sure if it will fit. There are a huge number of variations as well and if you think you're getting a deal on an Yugo you're not because the barrels aren't chromed. Shoot crap ammo with corrosive primers ( luckily not much around ) and you'll have crap for a barrel. Speaking of barrels, you don't know if the one you've bought is pinned or screwed. Lots of variations with the bolt assemblies too. The SKS unlike the AK was not meant to repaired in the field and parts interchangeability for them is a nightmare. The SKS is what I said it is, a nice throw away weapon, adequate for a 150 dollar price tag and not much more. BTW all parts break, you just haven't used them enough.
whitehood

Postby BeanerBuster1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:29 am

...and Chevy-Ford, etc. I don't buy many Yugo's anyway. I much prefer the Chink ones. And, yes, I do have AK's. M-70's and AMD-65's have been great, for what they were designed for. If you let the bad guys get close, it's a superior tool. But for 200-300 yards, I'll still take the SKS.

Oh, and I own both a Chevy AND a Ford pickup.

But, out in lousy conditions, I'ld take either an SKS OR an AK over the black rifles. I trained with and carried an M-14; if the

Army had had a good muzzle brake on it(like on the FAL) I

would have been in love. 500yd shots with open sights were a breeze. And I do love the new SOCOM 16; hell of a hog gun.
BeanerBuster1

Postby Emay » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:01 pm

i guess i lucked out cause it sounds like my norinco should be a piece of crap according to these posts, however it has never jammed or misfired and is rather accurate to at least 75 yards. i would have no problem hunting deer with this rifle... in fact i do. it doesnt shoot bullets through the same hole at 500 yards or the bullet doesnt travel at 5 times the speed of light but its tough and wont fail. ballistically the same as a 30/30 and that round has taken a whole bunch of deer.
Emay

Postby BeanerBuster1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:28 am

Well, emay, I have to agree with you. I have a Norinco right

now that I play with regularly; tough, reliable, and I've never needed to find "trigger parts" in all the ones I've had and sold.

Nobody has come back to find out if I had parts to repair them, usually accessories to trick them out. I just had and sold an AK(that I bought off this site) that was a real trip to get right. When I sold it, it worked like it was designed; go

bang and spray lead, by no means a precision rifle. The high end AK's aren't too bad to 100 yards, but I've not seen any shoot as well as an SKS except the long barreled sniper version, but then again, technically not the "usual" AK. As I

said in an earlier reply, the AK and the SKS were made for two different jobs.
BeanerBuster1

Postby BeanerBuster1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:34 am

You know, I hate "blanket ads" like one that has been up for ever here. Gives MSRP not the price they have one for sale! Have checked the site, as I stated in an earlier reply, and none are avaiilable at $250.00. I feel it's VERY misleading and

bordering on false advertising.

Impact Guns, PULL THE AD!
BeanerBuster1

PreviousNext

Return to Rifles