>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Kalashnikov AK - 47 Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Postby ulgydog56 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:54 pm

white wear the hell you been...i agree a ak or a wasr are better suited for a laser or peep with a fire front sight,hey its all them loose parts man...
ulgydog56

Postby DoubletapMag » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:24 am

Kalashnikov or AR, .45 or 9 mm, hmmm, ah what the hell none of the above. The Ak is only reliable because the gaps in its parts are blown clean every time the triggers pulled. It not as though it was designed with grooves in the bolt carrier to make it safe to pull out of the water and fire like a HK G36, or FN Scar. It just happened that way, it was designed to be so simple to build and use that wave upon wave, of poor dumb Commi bastard, at least 10 to 1 odds per soviet doctrine, could overwhelm the enemy's of communism with full auto fire also per doctrine. While facing Nato forces armed with more accurate less reliable 5.56 guns that rely on the yawing affect that due to loose ammunition spec's may or may not yaw. Eugene Stoner himself went away from direct impingement with his next AR for the sake of reliability. The soviets went away from the M47 because the longer engagement ranges in Afghanistan weren't well suited to it's low long range hit percentage, while the 5.45's higher hit probability coupled with its smaller size equals more rounds carried echo's the US's thinking in Vietnam, which led to a higher calculated combat effectiveness. Oddly both sides are meeting somewhere in the middle these days with the soviets building more accurate weapons like the AK 100 and the new 200 series. And the Americans wanting a standardized gun with more power like the 6.8 SPC or .280 British. and making guns that are uber reliable by design. Hence I'll never own a AK, if I want a 7.62 by 39 that's affordable I'll get a Mini-30. If I want an AR I'll

get a Piston Driven 6.8 mm SPC TWO. Either way I'm getting a 30 Cal, 7.62 Battle Rifle or two that should be able to hit a man size target out to a minimum of 600 meters. Or with a single bullet at medium range kill both a guy with an AK and one with an AR arguing over who's got the better Assault rifle to kill me with. :P
DoubletapMag

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks for your comments DTM and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've got a good bit of knowledge regarding battle rifles and I'm anxious to hear more about your experiences with them. The 6.8 is a nice option and I'd like to see more of them in the field. While we've got some excellent weapons in the field, that equation can always be improved, particularly if you ask the operator of it!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby whitehood » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Double tap got some of it right. The AK platform is mature and difficult to engineer very much more to into it. The Finns got it right years ago with the M76 series and it's ashamed that this one is not resurrected and modernized. If Double Tap wants as accurate a semi-auto clone as he can get he should look at Krebs.

The AR platform on the other hand is modular and still has a lot of room for growth. Direct impingment is not necessarily a bad thing and lightens the weapon considerably. Modern components, good ammunition and redesigned mags make the AR15/M16 as good as anything out there if not better. With carbon fiber and barrel fluting even with optics you can make a carbine type weapon at a tad over 5lbs and accurate to 600 yards. Something else DoubleTap should consider is that a huge chunk of sniper kills in Iraq were done with 5.56 rifles.
whitehood

Postby swahiliwarrior » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:00 pm

i have never owned an ak47 and have always wanted one. can anyone tell me some of the more reliable and accuret models of the ak 47 in the $1000 price range?
swahiliwarrior

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:23 pm

Go back and read the comments by Whitehood on the AK. He can and did give us many pointers on this rifle.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby swahiliwarrior » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:55 pm

thanks
swahiliwarrior

Previous

Return to Rifles