>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Kalashnikov AK - 47 Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Postby whitehood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:45 pm

apc matt, here's why they match and you don't really know what a parts gun is or really how most of these are built. The AK you have came here as a metal flat with a parts bag. Each flat and parts bag ( if you have one and don't have to order it ) is stamped with the same serial number. It's then assembled by persons unknown. There are so many variations of semi-auto AK clones that they are parts specific and if you don't use the specific parts they won't work. Like I said you really don't have an AK, you have a semi-auto clone that was not arsenal built or inspected. It was designed to be cheap, legal and sold to those who don't know better or what to look for. I bet you don't know what the terms matching, non-matching new or like new mean. It makes a difference.
whitehood

Postby whitehood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:30 pm

BtheK, the reason why so many people use the AK 47 is because of the huge overproduction of the weapon by the Warsaw Pact and its allies. The 74 is a much better weapon and the 100 series is probably a bit better but the legendary reliability is just not there. Sure its very good but its not foolproof. The accuracy in the 47 series is just fair and like I've said the weapon was really built for automatic fire. You have a semi weapon and its probably not arsenal built. Tests of most 47 clones show 6 to 7 MOA which is really not that good. Luckily most of the groups string vertically because of the basic design of the weapon. The Russians wanted hit from the belt buckle to the head in auto fire. What you have is a lot less.
whitehood

Postby BtheKid1881 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:25 am

You are right that it is not the most accurate and it is massively produced world wide. Another reason they use it so much is that it is an easy gun to train military with and very easy to clean real quick. Put that with the reliability and you got yourself a good military weapon. Hands Down.
BtheKid1881

Postby whitehood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:47 pm

In reality the AK47 is probably no longer being produced and its really the AKM variant that is out there. The single biggest reason the AK47/AKM is being used world wide is the mass production of weapon way in excess of their need. It's also cheap to make and doesn't need a lot of maintenance. However the AK is now more of a concept and not all parts work in all weapons. If you look at the weapon it has two things going for it, reliability and durability. The oldest weapon captured in Afghanistan was a 1953 early model that was still quite serviceable. You're also right in that it takes next to nothing to learn how to use and maintain.

Here are the defects.

1) The 7.62X39 aka M1943 sucks as manstopper. It's a low sectional density for caliber round that is highly stable. As such it bleeds off velocity quickly and will not yaw.

2) Try shooting the thing prone. It can be done, but not effectively.

3) By nature of its design it's not very accurate.

4) It's not an easy weapon to put optical sights on.

Keeping that in mind I keep an old Chinese Norinco which is essentially a semi-auto Chinese Type 56 which is in itself an AK clone. It's not identical to an AK47/AKM. I put the thing in my truck and for my threat it's a useful weapon and I haven't lost much if it get stolen.
whitehood

Postby Tinmancr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:37 pm

I shot one of these at the range a couple years ago, not very ergonomic or pretty.

I would take one over an ar it shoots every time, if you use ammo that fits your bore it is even somewhat accurate and has better sights than an ar too.

fyi being that most every 3rd world country makes one the bore diameters vary greatly some as wide a .316.

if you have one and it shoots wild check the bore with a micrometer I wager that will help.

a bit of trivia real aks are not 308 so if you reload you need to look on average, most russian rounds are larger than stated unlike belgian rounds that are smaller than stated. "5.7x28 is actually smaller than the real 22 rounds"

oddly it has a weird long but not overwhelming recoil, about the same as an ar of vietnam spec.

I will buy one when I get a chance, when I do it will be one of the 30cal versions.
Tinmancr

Postby whitehood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Hey boy genius, let get some facts straight here. Before you make ridiculous comments regarding bore sizes, I'd suggest you look up and understand lands and grooves and how they vary in a rifled barrel.

Also the number of countries that make AKM's and their variants are well known. It's a Russian round and I have no idea where you get this 30 caliber crap from. Here's some trivia for you. The bullet is not 7.62 in diameter it's 7.92. Bullet and calibers can be named in 4 ways, land size, groove size, bullet diameter or just plain arbritrary.

Here's another hint for you. The 5.45 is a better weapon. Get one from Arsenal or Krebs and you might have something.
whitehood

Postby Tinmancr » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:26 pm

? you talking to me? if so you seem confused, however are quite interesting.

where does the 7.92 come from the 8mm mauser or kurz they are nominally .316-323 for the s bores.

311 is not 7.92 and has never been called that except you.

I got my info from Cartridges of the World 11th edition, where are you basing your findings?

I don't care to argue but am will to converse in a civil manner, if you want.

I have no experience with 5.45 weapons they are pretty rare around here.

I have seen plenty of ballistics they look ok close to 5.56 but too small for any purpose I might have.

no I do not know what rifling aks have or the clones, if the bullet does not fit those grooves make little difference.
Tinmancr

Postby whitehood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Yeah genius, I'm talking to you. If you're talking about Mauser here's a hint. It's a different weapon. Some of the crap you come up with is amusing, but not very factual. Weak BS is just that weak and you have it in spades.
whitehood

Postby lotsip81 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:14 am

Please bring the conversation back to the Kalashnikov.....

Different points of view always exist and always will, just try to be polite. If you feel the need to continue this conversation, please move it to your private messages.

Any more posts that are degrading to other members will be deleted without warning!

lotsip81

"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby BtheKid1881 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:39 pm

I agree. We all need to understand we are here because we love guns. We all should stick together and respect one another.
BtheKid1881

PreviousNext

Return to Rifles