>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine.

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine.

Postby Will_Carry » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:22 pm

This was my second trip to the range today with my 9mm Hi-point Gorilla gun. The old ones looked like the rifles in the original "Planet of the Apes" movie so I have always called them Gorilla guns. At 25 yards I was shooting 4 inch groups which was excellent for me, since I am not used to the sites and my eyes can't focus on them well. The laser was a different matter. With the laser, which was shooting high and to the right, my groups were not so good. I don't know why.

So far the Gorilla gun has not failed from the first round to about 200 rounds. I have cleaned the bore but the rest has not been cleaned and never will be.

The only thing I don't like about this gun is every time you fire it you get monkey slapped in the face. I have shot 12 gauge shotguns and 30.06 rifles that kicked pretty good but none of them slap me like that. I am going to glue some padding onto the stock to soften the blows.
Will_Carry

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Thanks for the review! I have to ask something tho'. You mentioned that your 9mm had some harsh recoil. My question is how can a 9mm semi auto carbine have more or harsher recoil than a 30.06 or 12 gauge? That's alot of recoil Will. The last time I sighted in a 30.06, it took days for my shoulder to like me again! I was looking at their website and the carbine is alot better looking than their pistols. I don't know of an uglier gun ever made. The next time someone says a Glock is ugly, I'm going to show them a picture of a Hi Point! In the end though, it has to be reliable and yours sounds like it meets that requirement.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Will_Carry » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:50 pm

It's the strangest thing. The recoil is nothing, but you get bitch slapped every shot. It must be the stock. I have glued a closed cell foam pad to where my cheek rests to see if it helps. It could also be the stupid spring loaded butt pad. Why they think the 9mm recoil is so ferocious that it needs this cheesy spring loaded recoil pad I don't know. Like I say, A 12 gauge has recoil but it doesn't slap. The Hi-Point has no recoil but it does. I wish the Hi-point was listed on Gun Directory so we could see if it's just me or not.
Will_Carry

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:17 am

I would love to put the High Point on the forum. I just touched bases with "Agonist", who happens to be a fully tenured Moderator here!! I lost my stripes and wish I could get them back, lol! I hope I can touch base with Agonist and if so I can get your info added to the index. Help AG!!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby MustangLX » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Tigwelder, I hope you succeed in adding Hi Point here. I came on to see if it was an active topic and was surprised it wasn't listed. Made me feel weird for owning one.

Anyway I just bought a new one yesterday in .45 with forward grip.

I initially wanted 9mm, primarily because Promag makes an extended magazine for the 9mm. Apparently nobody makes one for the .40 or .45.

But I found out about a simple modification to a Colt 1911 15 round mag that makes for a perfect fit in the Hi Point 45.

The Hi Point carbines seem to be scarce lately, at least around here. My regular guy couldn't locate any from his sources. I found two in the area, both in .45 and one guy jacked his price to $450.

I think I did good at $319 for mine.

Haven't fired it yet, but will give an update when I do.
MustangLX

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:26 pm

I'll do my best to get the category listed but it's dependent on schedule of others and the ability of reaching him. I'm not personally familiar with the Hi Point but I do know it's priced as an entry level firearm and that makes it affordable for those who can't afford a $600 semi auto, regardless of what manufacturer that is. Were I unable to afford a higher priced firearm and needed a reliable pistol to protect myself, family and home, I wouldn't hesitate to consider a Hi Point firearm.

tigwelder56

Postby MustangLX » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:20 pm

I have no interest in the Hi Point pistols, but the carbine appealed to me as a range piece. I am not a hunter, so the pistol ammo is fine for me. The .45 coming out of a 16 inch barrel gains alot of velocity over a 4 inch pistol barrel. It's compact size and light weight makes it an alternate home defense weapon.

But besides that, I had a blast with it at the range yesterday. I shot a tight target cluster first time out, although just off to the right. I then discovered the adjustment was a tick to the right out of the box; something I should have checked first.

Anyway, It performed well and was simple to operate.
MustangLX

Return to Rifles