>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Mossberg Maverick Model 88 Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Postby jimmyc33 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:39 am

I just bought one of these guns , havent had a chance to shoot it yet , are they of good quality and what types of shot is best to use with its 28" barrel?
jimmyc33

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:48 pm

It's a very good shotgun. It's Mossberg's budget line gun but I've got one with an 18 inch barrel, it looks just like the picture here on the website. It's a very sturdy, well made gun and I've had excellent service from it. With a 28 inch barrel, I think that your load will be determined more by the choke and your desired use of the gun. What size of choke do you have? Is it a smoothbore barrel or is it rifled (slug gun)? It will handle any load, what do you plan to do with it?
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby NWguy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:16 pm

I own a Maverick 88 All Purpose Field model. I plan on buying a 18.5" barrel and a fold-over stock from Knoxx for it.
NWguy

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:17 pm

The Knoxx stock is an awesome design. Have you checked out their website? It's a very good video of their products. Along with that 18 inch barrel you'll have a great home defense gun.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby coolpapacatdj » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:59 am

Does it sound like tigwelder56 and I can't sing the praises of the Maverick high enough? LOL It is a great all-purpose gun and that's a fact!
coolpapacatdj

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:04 pm

LOL!!! I guess it's a little thick but that happens when you come across something worth the praise! I need to put a picture up. I feel like blasting something, ha, ha!!

tigwelder56

Postby coolpapacatdj » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:09 pm

Jimmyc33: In answer (I know it's late coming) to what shot is best used for the 28" barrel can only be answered by asking another question first. What are you aiming to shoot? Small game? Birds? Going for something larger (deer)? "I" can't answer without knowing that first. Sorry!
coolpapacatdj

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:11 pm

How did we miss that question? Hopefully he's still subscribed to the forum. You made a very good point though.

tigwelder56

Postby coolpapacatdj » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:03 pm

No clue, tigs! I watch this forum closely, too.
coolpapacatdj

Postby coolpapacatdj » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:27 am

Anyone ever use their 88 for self-defense? I mean really use it, not just have it loaded by the door. I'm leaning more and more to using 'Nonie' (my name for my Maverick) and placing my pistols in their cases. The 18.5" barrel makes all the difference in the world!
coolpapacatdj

PreviousNext

Return to Shotguns