>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Mossberg Maverick Model 88 Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Postby agonist » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:51 pm

Many experts agree that a short barreled 12ga is the best home defense firearm. Its point and shoot and doesn't require the skill of a handgun and loaded with No.6 shot or smaller will most likely not penetrate walls but is still devastating at short ranges as found indoors. The only drawback as far as I'm concerned is if an intruder is near or behind a family member than you don't have the ability to bullseye.
agonist

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Even with an 18 inch barrel, cylinder choke, I use #4 Buck and 00 Buck. The pattern at say 10 feet will only be about the size of your fist. Most loads I'm familiar with will provide the same pattern at home defense ranges. The use of a one ounce slug inside the house isn't a wise choice. Their ability to penetrate multiple barriers is well known. At close ranges (inside the home) most any 12 gauge load is going to penetrate from one room to another if you miss your target. Experience has shown me that dropping to a 20 gauge isn't going to provide you any magical differences either!! A 20 is a whisker away from being equal to a 12. I've shot both rounds thousands of times and a 20 isn't going to give you or anyone else the relief that most expect to get by stepping over to a presumably less powerful round. I think in many cases a 20 gauge delivers a harder recoil because their charge and load are so close to a 12. You're trying to push nearly an equivalent package down a narrower tube and it lets you know via the punch to your shoulder! Truth is, every encounter has to be handled on a case by case basis. One thing I can guarantee everyone is that a self defense encounter, gun fight, whatever you choose to call it, isn't easy, fun or worth looking forward to.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby stanruss » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:33 pm

i'm having a problem when i chamber a round in my model 88 if the slide isn't just right you'll here a clunk instead of click resulting in ftf. i've taken it completely apart cleaned everything two or three times same thing anybody know whats going on??need help its a fun gun to shootwhen it works
stanruss

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:26 am

What type of ammunition are you using? If you can provide the exact type/kind, it would help. High brass or low brass?? That made a big difference in mine.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby stanruss » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:57 am

remington high velocity game loads 2 3/4 shells 7/8 oz. # 6 shot low brass
stanruss

Postby ARMOR » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:20 pm

You can check out my review at:

http://arealmansreviews.blogspot.com/20 ... eview.html

I shot a group at 7 yards of #4 buck that gave a about a 6" spread. I have the 20" barrel 8-shot.
ARMOR

Postby ARMOR » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Sorry, I put the wrong link in my previous post. This is the one to the shotgun. The prior was to a Knoxx stock that I put on the shotgun.

http://arealmansreviews.blogspot.com/20 ... -shot.html
ARMOR

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:38 am

@stanruss, I apologize for not replying to your last post. I didn't get a notification of it. I'm not sure why you're experiencing that issue. I know that my shotgun was ammo sensitive when it was new and after a break in period it has worked perfectly. The first load it hated was low brass Sellior and Beloit 00 Buck. It didn't load properly and then was hell to eject. If all else fails, I would ask a gunsmith to take a look at it.

tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:06 pm

@armor, excellent review!! You did a very thorough job and I would consider it the best I've ever seen on the Mav 88. Thanks so much for sharing that link! Here is that same address in an active link: http://arealmansreviews.blogspot.com/2010/08/mossberg-maverick-88-security-8-shot.html

tigwelder56

Previous

Return to Shotguns