>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Mossberg 500 Persuader Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Postby BrianB » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:49 pm

I just got one the other day, the Persuader/Cruiser version in 12 gauge. I plan on trying it out this weekend along with a couple other new guns, a S&W 686 and a Ruger 10/22 with scope, so I will let you know how it goes.

Value wise, and again I have not even shot it once, for less than 300 bucks it seems like a good product, so far. Did clean it already, that was an adventure. Seems once you get past revolvers and semi auto handguns, assembly and disassemble gets a bit trickier.

As to how long the gun will last, I can let you know in 20 years, hahaha. I have heard they stand the test of time pretty well though, just read through the thread.
BrianB

Postby GOANRA » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Brian, Big Congrats on 3 of the best firearms around.

Did you get the 7+1 mag on your Moss 500?

In LE, we had to take a SG course. "0" Buckshot performed the best, but we used "00" for budget on duty. No slugs as we had carbines.

We were taught 7- 1/2 shot was best for home defense in a 12 Ga shotgun.

I answered a call once, where a woman shot an intruder in her home with a .410 with birdshot [full choke].

Hit him in the bicep & removed 99% of the arm. He bled out & died quick.

Blood was piled up like cherry Jello.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby BrianB » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:58 am

Thank you Goanra.

Mine has a 6 round mag so +1 equaling 7 total of course. I would hope I would never need more than that but in so far I have never been in "Need" of a gun for my whole life really so more than enough for now. (Course I have tons of ammo and a few other guns so I would have more than 7 on hand really anyways)

Regarding the lady blowing off the guys arm, I bet that was a hell of a scene to walk into.
BrianB

Postby BrianB » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:48 pm

Okay, first, oops, apparently it is a six "shot" gun, five in the mag +1.

Second, WOW, I can see what people mean about a shotgun being the ultimate in self defense in, or even outside of, the home. Reading the story of an intruder having their arm taken clean off by a lady and now I can sure see it could happen judging by the patterns on the target paper. I shot several rounds at perhaps about 5 yards and then at about 10 yards and yeah, that will certainly do the job. Of course it was just paper so who knows how deep it would penetrate but seeing that a good three inch circle was just plain missing and another 3 inches around outside of that was pretty heavily peppered, I sure would not want to be on the receiving end no matter the load.

I did have one problem myself in that I had a couple times where I loaded 3 rounds but only shot twice, when I went to pull the trigger I heard 'click' rather than 'boom'. Didn't know what happened at first but then found an unshot round right next to my foot both times. I can only assume I must not have pushed the last round in correctly and it fell out when I cycled it. I made sure to push the last round in deeply following that and did not have the same issue. So, assume that is the problem at this point. Also had my kids try it out, they did not seem to care for it so much as the recoil was a bit much for them. They had a problem with trying to get the action to cycle completely, apparently they had a hard time pulling it all the way back so would get stuck about half way down. I assume that was because they didn't have the strength for it because I had no such problem.

Overall though, it shot well, made a huge circle right were I aimed it, and I had no real problem with the recoil myself. I only used two types of ammo, some heavy bird shot and some skeet shots. I will have to try some skeet shooting and the pistol grip some other time as well as other types of shots. Even with just those particular rounds though, definitely a danger to an intruder.

All together, I LIKE IT!!!!!
BrianB

Postby GOANRA » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Yup, I knew it was a 5 rnd mag, got one. Plenty for hunting or home defense.

Some might be offended when you answer the door with a shotgun. LOL

Self defense shoot standard is accepted as 21 feet max for an armed aggressor [FLEOTC], but 99% are 2-5 feet.

Most home invaders & such know better than to give you time to get to any weapon or cell phone... they knock your door down and there you are watching TV in your underwear with a mouthful of Doritos.

Lots of crack/meth-heads just looking to do harm to folks for no logical reason.

Plenty of psychos who don't even need the drugs.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Postby Simmonds0307 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:14 pm

My dad has a revelation r310ab 12 ga and by what I have read it was made by mossberg 500. I was just wondering if anyone knew any information about this particular shotgun. The barrel has a little rust on it and I'm wanting to get it cleaned up so that I can use it for hunting and someday give it to my son to use. Thanks.
Simmonds0307

Postby GOANRA » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:15 pm

NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Postby aakri092 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:21 pm

I own the moss 500 persuader with the 7+1 capacity. Very nice shotgun. I have fired a variety of OU and SS as well as a good number of semis and pumps and the moss 500 stands up to them. For the price you really can't beat it. Works well with the factory full stock however I have found that either the 6 position adjustable stocks help the the gun be much more manageable and quick to aim. Also works nice with a pistol grip although that take practice to get accurate enough to rely on it in a defense situation IMHO. Its durable and reliable even after the thousands of rounds I have thrown threw it. Only thing I don't care much for on the gun is the forend has a tendency to rattle quite a bit, idk if that's just a problem with certain models but it was like that out of the box and I have heard of the "problem" before. That being said of the numerous shotguns that I own or have shot once again IMHO nothing can match the moss 500 in affordability, ruggedness and enjoyment. Very solid buy.
aakri092

Postby ryanomaly » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 pm

I have the persuader with the 5+1, 18" barrel. I bought it used as my first gun. Put a folding stock with ammo holder on it, very nice. I have found it fun but sometimes painful to shoot the 3" mags out of. Thats the price of having the power of 10 pistol shots in one. The only problem i've had is, when getting down to the last shot in the tube, it sometimes won't load. If i pump it very hard back, it usually does, but sometimes will fall out. It is my #1 home defense gun, loaded with the first shot #4 3" buck (41 pellets .25 cal), then 00 buck (15 pellets) then the rest 000 buck (10 pellets). 2 slugs, 1 #4 bb, and 2 00 on demand from the stock.
ryanomaly

Postby Tinmancr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:08 pm

I have shot one of my friends never liked it, first off he has a 18 in mariner with a shot stock.

this gun is unreliable not sure what they did wrong but it jams when you shoot hot loads or real short target loads too.

also the pump disengages during firing, not sure if that is a "feature" but should not happen.

also has a crappy choke, compared to an old m870 and my legendary Ithaca.

bottom line he got it cheap it should not rust but only works about 80% of the time.

this is very sad as various US military personnel use similar weapons.

all I can do is pray they are safe and the military buys them better ones soon.
Tinmancr

PreviousNext

Return to Shotguns