>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Mossberg 500 Persuader Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Postby apollo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:02 am

I have a question fellas,

My M500 has a 42mm red dot sight attached. I want a backup iron front sight, but of course the red dot interferes with this. I need a TALL front sight in order to see it through my tube. I do not want to have to take the tube off the weapon. Any thoughts?
apollo

Postby beetlemaster07 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:11 pm

I'm thinking about buying the special purpose model with the 18" barrel can anyone give me an idea as to what the accuracy might be with one of these? would you recommend the persuader with the 20" barrel or the special purpose model?
beetlemaster07

Postby apollo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:30 am

beetle,

I bought a Mossberg 500 SP(parkerized, rifled 22in barrel)on sale for $219.00 at a local Dicks. My SG has the 4+1 set up and the persuader is blue and has the 7+1 mag, right? In comparing these two SG's , if these are the two(?), the difference is mag capacity and finish. For me, the 4+1 mag is fine.

Is this an all purpose weapon that you want(defense, hunting, plinking, etc.)? Or will it be only a defense weapon?

Defense(in the home/tight corners)says shorter weapon, whether blue or parkerized.

Truly, overall, if you have the cash the, the M590 would be the best of all worlds.
apollo

Postby beetlemaster07 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:19 pm

I am actually looking for something in the 300-350 dollar range cause I am strapped for money but just wanted a home defense weapon mostly. I wanted to know what the range would be with an 18" barrel cause it seems to me that about 30 feet or so is about as good as it gets? I had a 20 gauge remington wingmaster once and it had a 28" barrel and it had a 3 foot spread at about 50-75 feet.
beetlemaster07

Postby apollo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:26 pm

OK, cool. I took about 4 months and poured a lot of ammo through my Mossy, testing felt recoil, accuracy and grouping. I have the 18in barrel on mine also. You won't lose anything from a 18 cyl bore compared to a 20 or 22 in a defense gun, and the shorter barrel is handier in close space/CQB.

The loads I use I have in a post below:

I use 12Ga Federal LE Tactical Flitecontrol 8 Pellet OO Buck available online at: http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/inde ... e-buckshot

15.95 per 25. Awesome tight pattern ... medium recoil. Loaded to 1100 feet per second. This will ruin any goblins day. THEY KEEP A 10-12 INCH PATTERN AT 25 YARDS ... thats 8 33 caliber hits with one shot. At 20 feet, probably your max room distance

about 2or 3 inch spread. To me the ultimate "D" round for unarmored targets.

If you need slugs, the Brenneke KO in 12Ga is pretty awesome. Loaded to 1600 feet per sec but recoil is very manageable. I have kept 3 inch groups with these slugs at 25 yards off hand. I would imagine that from a braced position, 50 yard shots with just the bead could be possible. Even though these are full power slugs, they are plenty gentle. I keep a few boxes around, even though I am a city dweller.

If managed recoil slugs are what you want, Remington makes a 1oz 1200 ft. per second round thats affordable and accurate out of my SG.

I hope this helps!
apollo

Postby beetlemaster07 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:49 pm

Should I go with the blued or parkerized finish? Does anyone know the difference cause I don't think I've ever seen a rifle with a parkerized finish but its about 50 dollars cheaper if I go with the parkerized finish compared to the blued finish.
beetlemaster07

Postby louismacote » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:12 pm

I just bought the parkarized finished model with the 20"barrel and long magazine. Came in box with extra pistol grip wich has it's own sling stud. I bought it to put in my kayak as I do a lot of island hopping were bears and wolves live, but don't want my nice $800 custom 686 going in the drink if I capsize on the big water. This gun is perfect for me, Mossberg is a great gun company, and among, if not the best of American shotgun manufacturers. The parkarized coating has helped a lot so far in preventing rust, and the extras in the box were top quality. Can say NOTHING bad about this gun. Even internal parts were completely coated. Very worth the extra $100 dollars for the coating. We will see how it holds up to these harsh northern winters, and snowshoeing.
louismacote

Postby hammerdrop » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:32 pm

Great gun, at a great price. Mine has an 18" barrel with full buttstock and I also have the pistol grip. It holds 4+1. I use 2 3/4 #4 buckshot for home defense. I also like low recoil 2 3/4 00 buckshot
hammerdrop

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:59 pm

I've got the Maverick 88 with the full stock. I like being able to choose if I shoulder the weapon or hold it waist high. It holds 8+1 and I agree with your ammo choices. I use the exact same loads. I have also added what I like to call, a second chance load or a chance to change your mind, either way. The first two rounds are Hydro-Kinetic shells. They're recommended for a two to eight yard range and they include a marker dye. If the first two rounds don't bring on a change in plans, the next 7 will decide for them.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby chrisbfd » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:34 pm

I just bought my first shotgun - a 590 A1. I have yet to take it out to see how it patterns. I did notice that there seems to be some lateral flex if I try to bend it side to side. Is this normal for a plastic stock? It does not seem loose.
chrisbfd

PreviousNext

Return to Shotguns